Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: New AC system

Re: New AC system

Just got quotes back from Ocean Breeze and Flagship. Flagship wins on price. For two 24kBTU chillers, three evaporators (9k, 12k, and 18k), plus all of the pumps, tanks, controllers, etc, it's ~$13.5k, or roughly double the price for three self-contained units equal in rating to the chilled system evaporators.

For that extra coin, you get the redundancy Pascal mentioned, quieter operation, compatibility with a Webasto boiler, and lessened risk of long runs of raw water hose developing a leak and potentially sinking the boat.

double post.
    Last edited by q240z; 08-23-2017 at 08:07 AM.

My system with 2 36k chillers and 5 AH , pumps, etc was about 20/21k

In all fairness a better comparison is to compare chillers with remote and I'm sure that the remote system will be he same cost as the chillers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I got the impression that, price-wise, chillers and splits are comparable. But cold air is cold air. It's not like chillers and splits make higher quality cold air than self-contained units. There are definitely some benefits to chillers--redundancy, compatibility with a boiler, and lower risk of sinking from long runs of raw water hose potentially developing a leak. Flagship uses some higher quality components than other manufacturers. These and other factors are easy enough to put into a spreadsheet and compare bang for the buck.

For example, I'm not sure if they're significantly quieter than modern self-contained units. While
    hunting around last month, I saw new Marinaire units on ebay. Dehumidifier function, 16kBTU, 44db, all for $1600 shipped. 44db is about as loud as a computer. For somebody whose really bothered by noise, that might be too loud. We're not that picky.

Price-wise, $1600 is roughly the same as just a single 16k evaporator (w/controller) from Flagship. Sniffing around the internet, the reviews for this manufacturer seem pretty good, too.

Redundancy...buy a spare 16k unit and keep it onboard. Keep ~$9k for other stuff.
    Boiler compatibility...I find myself wondering if that's a realistic need or just something that'd maybe be nice to have.

Too many options! lol

Pascal is in Miami, you're in MD. Big difference in usage.

Ocean Breeze will custom make the unit to your dimensions and hose layout (within reasonable dimensions). Flagship, from when I spoke with them, is all pre-stamped and you get what you get. They use the same components...Ocean Breeze uses the same digital controls (MicroAir) as cruiseair. I added the soft start to mine so I can use a small honda generator.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

From the quotes I got, OB was 10% more for similar gear compared to Flagship.

"Big difference in usage" is a factor, I suppose, especially for a chiller system with two units in series, where you can cut one out once the target temp is reached. There's definitely efficiency to be gained there. But, for us, I'm not sure if that tilts the 'bang for the buck' enough to overcome the huge price delta.

OB would probably match. Prices I got were lower than Flagship quotes.

The usage I meant was that in Miami, they use A/C nearly 12 months a year! In MD, not so much. I'd go with self contained and get the boat in the water sooner!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It's been a couple of years now. How is the system working out?

Very well. Really happy with it, huge difference from the old splits.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat