Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New AC system

New AC system

Ordering all the hardware to redo the AC system on my 53. Decided to go with flagship marine, out of Stuart FL. Heard good things about them, and all the major components are made in the US. They use off the shelf electrical parts for relays etc... so no expensive boards and components

Going to install two 36k BTU chillers in the aft corner of the port ER, on a shelf. Water tank and circulation pump will be installed on the floor underneath. Sea water pump will remain where it is now, just inside the aft door for access.

Using a 16k BTU air handler for the expanded master, two 16k BTU for the saloon, a 12k for the forward SR and another 12k for the stateroom which will be built at the end of the whole refit where the galley used to be. While 12k may be too big for that room, some of the output will be redirected to the lower helm area.

The chilled water pipe routing will be surprisingly easy to run. Since I combined the master and mid ship, the air handler will be installed right behind the engine room in the old mid ship closet.

For the saloon, it's just a short run up from the engine room, and the run forward is straight forward thru the Genset room. Everything will be on the port side.

Equipment should arrive in February, and hopefully will be installed when we come back from a feb trip to the Exumas. Will post pictures..

I really like the simplicity and redundancy of chiller systems. While both compressors are needed to run everything and really cool the boat, you can also get the boat comfortable on just one chiller if one fails.

Cost wise all the equipment is just under $20k which is comparable to redoing a full split system, if not cheaper. Obviously more coslty than self contained but I just hate theses noisy buggers...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: New AC system

Talk about timing! I just spoke with Flagship yesterday!!!! I was going to make a post on here to ask if anybody has experience with them.

Another key point is that Flagship uses TXV (expansion valves) instead of capillary tubes on their units. This is a big deal for performance and efficiency (you can google why).

The don't put it on their website, but they will do reverse cycle (heatpump) for their units as well, it's just not advertised. Reverse cycle also uses a TXV valve.

I'm going with two new self contained to replace existing failed self contained. I'm still pondering to do 240VAC vs 120VAC (I will add a 240 panel and I'm installing a isolation transformer anyway).

Just some other facts: all metal is stainless steel, not painted. There is drip pan under the evap only, the entire unit isn't a drip pan. The company does most of their work for USCG/Navy and larger ferries and stuff. There stuff costs a bit more, but I feel it will be worth it in performance and life. Blowers are Dayton (1 speed from them, but they easy to add aftermarket speed control on a PSC or shaded pole motor).

I was told about 2week build time for the self contained. They answered my enginerd questions correction and quickly, and APPEAR to be solid. Again, their bread and butter is bigger commercial stuff that has to work.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Pascal, does the tank have to have a drip tray? I would think it would sweat in the humid conditions you all have down there.

They seem solid. Quick email responses to my questions and I really like the made In the USA with made in the USA components

Jim, I don't think the tank comes with a drip tray but I will make one anyway to collect errand drips around the circulation pump anyway
    Last edited by Pascal; 01-04-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This is an interesting conversation I know there has been posts before about a/c systems. I'm redoing my 53 and want to upgrade my a/c as well. I am hoping that when I go to the Miami boat show that I can talk to the vendor to help me make a educated decision

Once installed, send photos of the new units.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Well worth knowing, as at some point I will need to replace the rest of my AC system. I have one completely original unit in the boat, installed 1971, but it can't last forever.

What piping is used to run the chilled water? Could the old copper refrigerant lines be used or are they too small?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Can't re use the existing copper, which I woudlnt anyway as they're almost 50 years old and th y need heavy insulation so the old ones would have to be removed from their mounts anyway

For these chillers I need 1 1/4 lines. Easy to run as it's all on the port side.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There's is always another alternative..... costs $600 bucks. Still running strong....
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney