Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: PSS Shaft Seals

Re: PSS Shaft Seals

If their pulling shafts every year or two the seals are a simple and inexpensive addition to that project but I've seen 15 year old hose on stuffing boxes that the owner thinks will last 10 or 15 more.

It's more maintenance to keep them up or they may fail. It's a choice and knowing my usage and schedule I stick with the old school.

Krush. I don't think the original tube could handle 2 inch shafts. They probably have been changed out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

With our (old) boats cutlass bearings and any type of shaft seals last many years and hours.
    My 60C is one of the higher power boats on this forum - 1000hp/side - but she's a trawler compared to the new stuff. The 68C my Son runs has 2800 hp/side (and receives new cutlass bearing each winter).
    We're dinosaurs
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I am with the lucky one here. When I bought my 31'EC 7-8 years ago it had PSS. Never heard of them, had never seen one. Jeez they work good! As a maintenance item, I replaced the bellows about 5 yrs ago. The new bellows was thicker than the original. I have never had a drip. It is easy to say "just tighten the gland" every so often, but are you going to be 70 next month? And my shaft log access is probably an 8 out of 10 There are several below WL hoses, thru-hulls and metals that worry me far more than the PSS. At some point, just think and look at the item. The PSS set-up has virtually no loading on it-failure is very unlikely. Traditional boxes have this crazy stiff hose that is capable of transmitting big load to the shaft log if we ever lose alignment.
    Having said that, I retain respect for the old ways.
    Gary

PSS were on my boat when I bought her in 2004. I inspect them annually and I didn't really trust them at first. Its so easy to pull back the bellows and let the water come flowing in.

But, I have had no issues and the bellows show no signs of cracks and still feel very flexible. I asked the yard when I should change them and they said, when they look like they need it.

I like having perfectly dry bilges but I'm still partial to the old glands. They just seem safer. Not a complaint, however, as the PSS have served me well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The new bellows that PSS supply are more robust than the old ones. The old ones lasted me fifteen years and were still usable when we removed them. They do make a very quality product. Dripless seals are not for everyone, this thread makes that clear, but my experience with them overall has been very good.

I have experienced 2 boats that sunk at the dock due to improper installation of PSS drip less seals. The solid ring that is secured to the shaft has 2 set screws. When new they are shipped with 4 set screws the 2 additional set screws are designed to be put in as locking screws on top of the first 2 another words 2 set screws in each hole. People get them and see the 4 set screws and say hey they sent me 2 extra set screws and throw 2 of them in there tool box and only install 2 and guess what eventually happens the ring backs off and the boat sinks. As a surveyor this is one thing I always check. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I have experienced 2 boats that sunk at the dock due to improper installation of PSS drip less seals. The solid ring that is secured to the shaft has 2 set screws. When new they are shipped with 4 set screws the 2 additional set screws are designed to be put in as locking screws on top of the first 2 another words 2 set screws in each hole. People get them and see the 4 set screws and say hey they sent me 2 extra set screws and throw 2 of them in there tool box and only install 2 and guess what eventually happens the ring backs off and the boat sinks. As a surveyor this is one thing I always check. John
    It took me a while to figure that out. I needed to move my ring to adjust it and I just loosened the set screws but it wouldn't move. Once I took them all the way out, I could see the ones below them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I believe the PSS instuctions are clear on using the 2 setscrews, And they come with some kind of thread-lock.
    I install a hose clamp immediately fwd of the stainless ring as a back-up. There is no way the 1" bellows compression results in enough force to budge that hose clamp.

The one thing that makes me nervous is the nylon hose-barb for raw water connection. The can't use metal because it is installed in the stationary carbon ring. I make damn sure the connected hose does not put any load on that hose barb. Nylon does seem to last forever if out of the sun.

Gary

Here's a guy's comments, but he states he adds a split collar upstream http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post377692

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

As far as the double set screw set up, most people on this site are way above average on mechanical things, but you would be amazed the number of people that do not read directions and think they know it all, I see it in surveys all the time, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.