Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PSS Shaft Seals

Re: PSS Shaft Seals

I agree with Scott. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am not aware of any of our old antique shaft logs causing a catastrophic event. I'm sure that there are stories of failure but they must be so rare that it makes me wonder what the allure of the "new" dripless is. Goretex in the original units works fine with hardly any drip at all. Better to spend the money on something that will really be an improvement.

Walt

Some timely information: My neighbor hauled his 43 Saber MY today (unplanned) to diagnose and repair a badly failed Lasdrop seal. Don't know what initiated the failure yet, but it wasn't loss of cooling water. The seal that failed is 15 months old with 120 hours on it. He previously had PSS seals. Went to Lasdrop because of a PSS failure 15 months ago.

I rest my case... Walt

We have muddy/silty water here where I run...think that will eat away at dripless seals?

How much is a gland to put back on instead of the dripless?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Size matters.

Whats the od of the tube and the shaft size

I may even know where some are.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We had Lasdrops and they failed within a year of installation. It was very odd. The seals seized up and the shaft spun inside the clamp. Everyone involved made good on the deal including haul etc.. The next set performed well. We had Tides before them, and they also failed early.
    Prior to Tides I tried Gortex packing and we were not able to get more than two rings installed. The housings were hot to the touch idling in gear at the dock.
    If you go with packing, go for the water cooled version?
    Regards
    Dan

I've never been limited to 2 rings in a properly sized shaft log with the correct packing. I have 1 3/4 shafts in my oat that was originally 1 1/2. I use a thinner packing 1/4 or so and have 6 rings easily in there. If I had used larger packing I'd still have 3 rings

As to the heat. I don't crank them down dry and adjust them a little at a time. I also don't want them bone dry so I find them cool to the touch with maybe 4 drops a minute when not running.

I put deflectors over them to prevent slinging water around the engine room.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I heard on the internets to fill the packing box up with grease to keep it cool! Maybe add a grease fitting LOL.

Some people say the gore packing squishes out. But I used Graphite (duramax Ultra-x) packing on my jetboat and it doesn't leak and works great.
    Last edited by krush; 01-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Wink Re: PSS Shaft Seals

Try Western Pacific Trading moldable packing I ran some for 10 years on boat before my new boat which I have 3 years on never had to touch shafts once in 10 years same for the last 3 on new boat looks like green clay and works .
    Bob

Also works in rudder box.
    Bob