Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PSS Shaft Seals

PSS Shaft Seals

Looking for recommendations for mechanics in Daytona area who know what they're doing, to replace bellows on the seals in my boat. Any suggestions?
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: PSS Shaft Seals

Quote Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
    Looking for recommendations for mechanics in Daytona area who know what they're doing, to replace bellows on the seals in my boat. Any suggestions?
    Replace them with standard stuffing boxes.

But really it's not a tough job. Getting the shaft out of the coupler is the hardest part.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

And if the shafts are painted they will need to be ground down.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

Like this. I'm even pondering this.....while on the hard.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Call Ken Ruse (407) 620-4408. He mostly works on engines, but if he can't do what you need he will know who can.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

But really it's not a tough job. Getting the shaft out of the coupler is the hardest part.
    I have standard stuffing boxes on my 1981 43' DC and the the rubber boots are old, cracked and need to be replaced. I am considering Tides Shaft logs along with just keeping the standard stuffing boxes and replacing the boots. I would really like to minimize if not eliminate water entering the boat via the stuffing boxes. Would the newer packing materials (Gortex or graphite) eliminate water coming in or at least reduce it significantly?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Goretex packing is almost dripless.

PSS works well but from what I ve heard when they fail, it's pretty bad. I ve had tide seals on boats I run and I m not impressed... they always seem to drip after a while as much as goretex
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have had PSS seals on my boat for, I think, 15 years. Year before last we had a leak, which was caused by the rotor getting a bit loose and sliding up the shaft. This was really my fault as I should have checked it every time she went in the water at the beginning of the season. It was fixed by tightening the setscrews. At the end of the season, we pulled the shafts, and replaced the PSS bellows. The fifteen year old bellows were still good- no cracking or weathering and still supple.

So, one leak in the better part of two decades, and that one my fault for lack of diligence. YMMV but note that I put new bellows and clamps in, realigned everything, and she has been fine. PSS make a very high quality product.

Check out Lasdrop shaft seals.....I dumped my PSS and went with Lasdrop
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

A boat here had a piece of paper towel get in the seal and destroyed it. She hit bottom. A total loss because of that small piece of paper towel.

Another a while back lost the cooling hose during a seatrial. We noticed the pump light and found the problem. I'll stick with my old school shaft logs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.