Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: PSS Shaft Seals

Re: PSS Shaft Seals

Well, that would be the way to go if you already have one Duramax that is performing well, I would think.

If you need shaft seal, call up these guys and get a quote (ask for Kevin). http://www.pacificmarine.net/enginee...shaft-seal.htm

I think they do PSS and Duramax. Quote he gave me for Duramax including the stern tube adapter appears to be same or lower than other vendors for PSS.

Their prices on PSS (if they carry it) may be very nice. He said on phone they'd likely be the best.

Duramax rebuild kit, is only $50 cheaper than entire new assembly.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Wow. This is one area where PSS may be better- their rebuild kit is substantially cheaper than the entire item new. It has a bellows, new O-rings, setscrews, Allen key, and all the clamps and tip covers for them.

Also McMaster sell a shaft collar that will go on to prevent the rotor from moving. It looks a lot like the one that comes in the Duramax kit, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Wow. This is one area where PSS may be better- their rebuild kit is substantially cheaper than the entire item new.
    Duramax doesn't need "bellows" replaced every 5 (or whatever) years. It uses a different sealing system. I'll take pics when I take mine apart.

Please do, curious myself. Thanks

Update on my information to this thread. I have not replaced my shaft seals yet, but I plan to go with LasDrop genII seals. I spoke with the owner at FLIBS a few years ago and was really impressed by many factors, including his time taken to talk engineering stuff with me.

I've heard hearsay that the Duramax seals have had issues with materials and stuff, and some were surprised they are still made. This kind of lines up with the failure that occurred for the previous owner on the duramax seal.

And some more info:

These two articles summarize the main 3 products on the market. I think they are well written and all agree with my personal (and extensive) research.

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ng-shaft-seals

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ss-shaft-seals

Update: Spring of 2020 I installed new traditional packing boxers and goreTex GFO packing (cheapeast place was zoro.com). Still in the break in phase. Will report back.

I was planning to go with LasDrop GenII, but a bunch of old guys convinced me to go traditional packing. Hope I don't regret it. Price difference between the two was negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Update: Spring of 2020 I installed new traditional packing boxers and goreTex GFO packing (cheapeast place was zoro.com). Still in the break in phase. Will report back.

I was planning to go with LasDrop GenII, but a bunch of old guys convinced me to go traditional packing. Hope I don't regret it. Price difference between the two was negligible.
    Who you callin old?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Boatsb....

I thought you were still at church!! Lol
    To the OP....i have PSS seal and without any apparent issue, I decided tk replace the bellows as a " maintemance item". I bought the bellows and gave them to the yard that was doing bottom paint. I was billed $2000. to install the bellows!! I was told that a lot of time....a LOT...was expended decoupling the shaft. Remarkably, a year earlier the same yard did a shaft alignment.

10. Re: PSS Shaft Seals

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post

I upgraded to a PSS system 7 years ago. The first year was great, but the next 5 years were plagued with a constant "misting" that couldn't be stopped no matter what the factory recommended.

It turned out the stainless rotor had developed pitting wherever it came in contact with the carbon ring. For the record, every piece of through hull hardware on my boat is properly bonded and protected.
    The only reason that was given was perhaps PSS had a run of rotors fabricated from some poor quality stainless steel. Of course, after 6 years had gone by, there was no hope for warranty.

Either way, I "downgraded" back to a traditional packing box and GoreTex GFO last year, haven't had a problem since.
    You won't regret it either. There's something to be said for simplicity.

Here's a shot of my old rotor. It's a little scuffed from bouncing around my tool box, but you can clearly see the pitting.

IMG_20210119_084644730.jpg
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C