Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Furuno NavNet discussion and questions

I'm trying to understand the NavNet system and history. I get there are 3 semi-current versions today. NavNet3d, TZ Toch and TZ Touch2.

The background for this education endeavor is to potentially create a system for a boat with 2 stations (bridge and lower) and cockpit controls. Also, I want to integrate everything onto NMEA 2000/canbus---meaning radar, heading, autopilot, engine gauges, and maybe things like various alarms/power management (though much later).

So here are the questions:

tzt2 has built in sounder, built in GPS, and has power supply for newer radars (saves on extra modules to buy). Can a navNet3d or TZT unit network and get the radar/gps/sounderr information from a TZT2?

Can a TZT or a NavNet3d MFD network and control the autopilot (NavPilot 711)?

Lastly, does the remote app that lets an Ipad be used to control the MFD allow all functions, like adjust autopilot course??

The reason I ask these questions, is that it can get expensive to add multiple MFD's at two stations on the boat. Would it be feasible and reliable to put a new TZT2 at the helm used the most and then put something like a TZT at the other station. And then for other functions like engine display or autopilot control, could a used NavNet3d interface and be used as a "dumb" display to show engine parameters or various other "extra screen" information. Of course, and Ipad can also be used anywhere around the boat (or in the cockpit).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Furuno NavNet discussion and questions

Call Furuno. They're extremely helpful with stuff like this. They may have different suggestion on what might work best for nwhat you're trying to accomplish.
    Jack Sardina

Or you could go to Garmin equipment which already does all of that.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I ve been using navnet for 9 years or so, putting a lot of miles on them first an 2003 vintage Navnet and now a Navnet 3D system installed in 2009

Both systems, on different boats, have the nasty habit of crashing on average once a day. 99% of the time it s ni big deal, it restarts and boot up in about a minute or two. Problem is when it happens when you need the radar or the gps...

Not impressed.

That said the 3D is really nice though. The charts are much better than the previous generation and has many useful functions. Ours runs off a black box computer with Furuno control box and 2 20 or 22" displays.

Personally I don't care much to integrate everything together as it compromises reliability. Why would you want the AP to be tied into the nav system. Same with depth... I like having a separate sounder. I mean sure it s cool how the navnet3D records your track with depth info but is it also really useful or just cool?

I haven't put many hours or the new Garmin stuff but I like the interface. I ve done a few trips with Raymarine and never like the interface.

No idea if the latest navnet systems are more reliable than the 3D. Hope they are.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

1 (360) 833-5151 Furano direct line. Great people to work with.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It's not a question of functionality as both Furuno and Garmin will do what he wants. What he needs to know from Furuno is the compatability of products. No different than if he was trying to do the same with Garmin. I'm a big Furuno fan but I admit the Garmin stuff is easy to use and well thought out. Either is an excellent choice as both make very good products.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    What does Garmin do differently and/or better? I think it's a chevy vs ford type argument. Both brands get the job done, but the companies have slightly different ways of doing it. Some say Furuno is not so cutting edge with it's products and more conservative.....all I know is the commercial vessels I've been on had Furuno equipment (or JRC). I'm open to both, but I just always hear praise for Furuno's after sale support.

Furuno really seems to hit it out of the park with their new radar--it appears to offer big ship function like auto target aquire and track for multiple targets, and this is before throwing AIS info in there.

I don't need a big whiz-bang system. I just want to integrate stuff as much as possible to minimize the amount of boxes and screens all over. Also, I want to make sure the backbone network stuff will last at least 10-15 years. It looks like CAN-bus and ethernet are here to stay for a bit.

Give me a call and I'll run past the experience I've had with both brands.

Remember your not planning a transatlantic crossing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Put this in the other thread too. It's worth checking out the images on the new radar....it does big ship radar stuff

I'm reading on the interwebs that solid state radars don't see the birds as well, but they are pretty amazing at traffic tracking and separation. I care about avoiding boats, not so much about finding birds.....but I have the old CRT Furuno for that

Here's some pretty amazing features for a small boat radar: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/0...efinitely.html

I haven't looked at Garmin documents this closely, but I do like how Furuno gives I/O diagrams of all the pins and connections of there stuff like this. Give a nerd like me lots of info http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...%20Diagram.pdf

ALSO here is an FAQ that answered many of my questions: http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...uch2%20FAQ.pdf

And this overview answered other questions: http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...20Overview.pdf
    Last edited by krush; 12-29-2016 at 10:13 PM.