Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water in the Port Engine Room Bilge (Air conditions room) is that OK?

53 MY 1972, noticed water in the bilge. I am a new owner, I was told by the seller it is due to the A/C units. I have some doubts.

Is it normal to find water in the bilge of the ER which has A/C units?

Thanks

Gus

Re: Water in the Port Engine Room Bilge (Air conditions room) is that OK?

Water in the bilge from AC is not normal. I would check the sea strainers to see if they are leaking, sometimes the gaskets get old and cracked and leak. Would also check the raw water hoses for cracks and the thru hulls. If they haven't been replaced since 72 it might be worth the investment to replace.

If it were the air conditioning unit you would be able to see it dripping while they were running. It is hard for me to believe that it would be the issue. Check your shower sump and make sure the water is being pumped over board and not pumping into the bilge. Those hoses are very brittle and tend to leak after 25 years. You are speaking about the port ER correct?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Port Engine Room correct. We have not run the showers.

Now, the port and also the starboard engine rooms-bilges, are they insulated from the generator room and the aft bilges? (kind of looking like they are not connected.)

Mine are connected. Not sure about your year. Another area to check is your rudders, your shaft logs, I also had to replace my hot water heater due to a number of pin hole leaks. It took months to find that one. It just pissed out a mist that you could not see or hear. You should vacum out all the water. Put a dusting of baby powder in two or three areas then check for a break in the powder. Then work back from there till you find it. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thank you for the advise.

My forward salon unit delivers the condensation water to the port ER. I rerouted it to the seachest.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

You can get small amounts of condensation from the exposed top tubes of the AC compressors when the humidity is high. But you are probably seeing maybe a cup full per unit per day. If the engines are running and the ER is hot probably nothing would show.

I would keep looking.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Check for drips from stuffing boxes, I had that problem.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Make sure no leaks from engine when its running.
    Bob