Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Re: Run Allison Transmission oil pump with engine off

Or a solution in search of a problem.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Now that the echoing is stopped, back to what can happen if you leave the helm to go to the head and leave the driving to Otto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZJ__8PVDU
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Now that the echoing is stopped, back to what can happen if you leave the helm to go to the head and leave the driving to Otto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZJ__8PVDU
    Did you see how well the autopilot recovered and turned back on course?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Did you see how well the autopilot recovered and turned back on course?
    I did. All in all, that was a pretty impressive collision. What kind of boat was that?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I did. All in all, that was a pretty impressive collision. What kind of boat was that?
    Bumpercraft
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

How long have you owned the boat and how much have you run it? I would spend some time getting familiar with how it performs and what your likes and dislikes are before doing any significant modifications. You may decide to do noting, change what you thought you wanted or decided a different approach or outcome will be best. You made a big change from a sailboat to a motor yacht. Found out what you truly like or want to change after you are familiar with the boats benefits and drawbacks.
    Jack Sardina

Well, as a follow-up to my post #47, I was down in the Keys last week returning from the Ocean Reef Vintage Weekend, which I enjoyed a lot but did not win any awards this year. Maybe when we are 60?

Running hull speed up Hawk Channel I made my usual periodic engine room check and noticed what looked like water running down into my aft stbd. engine bilge. On further exploration I found the fuel pressure/Hobbs switch was leaking diesel. Having had this happen before, I now carry two spare Honeywell switches as replacements. But because the ER was hot I simply shut down that engine and ran on the port one. Did not bother locking the shaft. 1200 rpm gave me about 7.5 kts with 7-9 degrees of rudder offset set by the autopilot. I had sort of forgotten how well the boat handled on one engine. It was, however, totally calm. Figured I would replace the switch the next morning when things got cooler.

Did try to tie alongside at No Name Harbor on Key Biscane, only to learn after arriving that can't remain tied to the seawall after 11 pm. Will mention that it is nearly impossible to maneuver up to a raw concrete sea wall on only one engine without damaging the paint. So anchored off for the night, replaced switch the next morning, and returned to FtL without incident.

My conclusion--you are a lot better off running both engines, even if slowly, than you are on just one.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932