Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing diesel brass gauge from diesel tank

My aft diesel tank's fuel gauge hasn't worked since the day I bought the boat. I've got a new gauge and can't get the old one off for the life of me.

I've soaked it in PB blaster for a day, bought the correct 2 3/8 socket, have a breaker bar, heated up the brass and brought in the largest guy from my gym to try to break it free. No luck but he did bend my breaker bar. Any more suggestions? I've thought about using the dremel but am not sure I want to go down that route.

Thanks

Re: Removing diesel brass gauge from diesel tank

How much "heat"??? There is probably pipe dope in that fitting and requires a lot more heat than you would think to break it free. It sounds though you've already gone down the right road, But you may just need to do a little bit more of it. Get the fitting hotter than you would ever think it needed to be, and then apply a bunch of slow steady pressure on that breaker bar with the emphasis on slow and steady!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

Im not using a torch just a heat gun. I will see what I can do with a little more heat. Thanks!

I really can't over emphasize the slow and steady part.
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”

I had the same issue. Used a torch after taking off the plastic gauge on top. If you left it on it would melt. I centered the torch and got it really hot before it slowly started to move. Hope the PO didn't use 5200 as a thread dope. Good luck
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm not sure why but sometimes it works to tighten first until it breaks free.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

3/4" impact gun?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I would be afraid to use an impact gun especially that large, there is the possibility of tearing the fitting out of the fiberglass.
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”

The plate the gauge is in is much harder to remove, I doubt the the impact would hurt the plate or it's mounting.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I agree. You will not rip out the plate. I got all of mine out with a breaker bar and a length of pipe but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 3/4 impact on it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI