Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Looking for a quality 53 for sale on the east coast

Quote Originally Posted by fishing fool View Post
    There is a 1977 53' MY for sale in Tarpon Springs, FL. It is listed on the Tampa Bay area Craigslist page for $149,995.00. The owner says its in excellent condition and only 1,400 hours on engines.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5838935190.html
    Damn, I was just in Tarpon Springs 2 weeks ago (Great Greek food down at the docks). I should have checked out Craigslist while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    Have a look at the 50MY as well. Same layout as the 53MY. Just not as many built.

I launch my dinghy (11 ft. Boston Whaler with a 15 hp Yamaha) from the flybridge all the time. It did get a lot easier some years back when I added an electric winch to the davit. That old manual crank was murder!

I believe the only model of this boat has the galley down. Dinette can feed six kids. Our original high/low table in the salon can feed 10 if they are good friends. Sending the place settings and the food up is only a slight bit more work for the pleasure of our 360 degree view. And with that many people on board it is easy to divide up the work.
    I like the 50MY as well. There are a couple on Yachtworld, restored, asking in the $250k range but they are not on the east coast. The idea of a boat from the 60s is scary to me, but then again, so is the idea of a boat from the 80s. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I don't know a model number, but they had pads glued to the Hypalon tubes and a spring loaded catch on the platform. When you step on the tube when the parts are together they lock. A BIG BENEFIT IS THE ADDED STABILITY WHEN BOARDING THE DINK. We used a line to pull the dink to the vertical position and locked it up via the stand-off.

Looks like this: http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/p...ength-No-Clips

Bobk
    Thanks, I am going to look into that davit.

Red face Re: Looking for a quality 53 for sale on the east coast

Quote Originally Posted by kjcampos View Post
    hi Looking Glass ...we too were originally looking to buy a Hat 53' MY our friend has one and we just loved it and we looked at a lot of 53' even flew out at a moments notice to go see them....then i told my broker we were going to the Ft. Lauderdale area and he told us to go look at this Hat 56' MY and that was the end of the search for the 53' MY we ended up buying a Hat 56' MY ....not the one in Ft. Lauderdale...with the wide beam it just makes for so much more room on the boat .... we came from a 37' Sea Ray Sundancer so like you i was nervous to say the least about the HUGE BOAT we just bought but we hired a captain ...Bruce Morrison... and he taught me how to handle the boat and after 4 day Bruce said i was fine handling the boat by myself which i do...yes we do have a bow thruster and i use it all the time just love it....the boat gets easier to handle the more you use it ...we just did a trip up north to NJ for the summer and south back to Florida i docked the boat every night of our cruising and i got so good at it that i had to back up the boat from the ICW in Florida over 300' in a very narrow fairway to our slip doing a S turn i even surprised myself but i did it ....
    We were on a 54MY last week and I thought that was wide. I can only imagine how nice the 56 feels. However, I was worried about getting a boat with such a large beam. I thought it would be difficult docking, finding slips, maneuvering in fairways, etc. I also assumed that the fuel burn would be a lot greater.

We all use our boats in different ways so as much as I can understand that a few owners rarely use or need a tender, personally I can't imagine not having one.

Launching from the top deck is extremely easy and can be done quickly by one person if rigged right. The key is to have a long line attached on the tender from the stern and bow cleats. I also keep a line attached on the boat top deck with a carabiner at the end which gets clipped to the tender line. That way I can control the tender from the top deck as I am running the davit. No need for a second person or a boat hook.

As to the size of the 53, yes it feels much bigger than most 40 footers but you quickly get over it. I do most docking from the lower helm and the sight lines both forward and aft are great. By being at the lower helm you are within a few steps of the side decks and spring lines.

Also the hull shape and the weight makes it much easier to handle because they won't get blown around by wind unlike smaller lighter flat bottomed aft cabins

I disagree about the rudders being too small. One test of rudder effectiveness is to start moving on one engine and see how much the boat turns before the rudders kick in. The 53 will barely start showing sign of turning before the rudders become effective enough to keep it going straight on one engine.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by polarizer View Post
    Here is a real sweet rig. not sure if you've seen this yet

http://www.hmy.com/used-yachts-for-s...ertible/231569
    Nice looking boat but wrong engines. Surprised they did all that work and installed those old electronics. Price seems very high particularly with those engines.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Nice looking boat but wrong engines. Surprised they did all that work and installed those old electronics. Price seems very high particularly with those engines.
    Your right Jack, beautiful boat, but I 100% agree on the engines. I would've rather had CAT's, Detroit 60 Series, Cummins, Volvos etc. Anything except the MANS, of the MAN boats I've run, they all run nice smooth, and fast, BUT BUT BUT they were finicky and expensive to keep, especially if you need a rebuild. A friend of mine with 47 Viking just had to rebuild one of his because it sucked coolant and it was a $100K Job. I had a similar issue with a 6V92 and after rebuild it was $15,000 +/-. That was with New Heads, Full Kits, Rods, and Bearings. I do like how MANS run when they're running well but their Service Routines are expensive, they have very finicky fuel systems, and god forbid you pop one. It cost him 5 Times the cost of our rebuild and we have essentially the same size boats. His is faster on a calm day, but for that amount of money I'm not sure his little extra speed is worth it.

Whoever restyled 52 Hatteras' windows must be a Viking enthusiast because they are angled and styled to look like a 2000 Viking 55C.

Again, nice boat though overall.

Tony

No doubt the MANs are expensive to maintain. I don't have an issue with them as they are pretty reliable and give good service life if maintained. Its the particular ones in this boat that are an issue. They tend to fail early and often the failures are catastrophic requiring a new engine not even a rebuild. When I was shopping it was pretty common to see boats that were 8 years old or less and had already replaced or rebuilt one with less than 1000 hours. I looked at a 54 Vicem that was only 6 years old and had replaced one engine at 300 hours and the other at 700. My neighbor had them in his 48 Viking. MAN had someone on the boat a few times per season. He sold the boat as soon as the warranty expired. Said he wouldn't own them out of warranty. He bought a 54 Viking with a pair of 1550HP common rail MANs. 8 years and no issues with them. Only time MAN was on the boat was for routine service.
    Jack Sardina

The listing says it all. One engine has 700hrs the other one 10hrs which Means it failed at around 700hrs. Case closed
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Agree with Jack. With Cat engines that would be a far better buy.