Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Looking for a quality 53 for sale on the east coast

Looking Glass..... Don't let yourself be intimidated by the size of the 53. Actually the big heavy boats handle very well in close quarters. I have run 53's and larger (72) and IMO the larger boats offer a feeling of confidence since they don't seem as sensitive to a little breeze like a small lighter boat without a keel.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    Another Hatteras owner told me the same thing. The dingy is too much of a pain to get down, so it sits there all year. That is why I was considering a dingy attached to the swim platform. I thought it might be easier to get on and off.

I currently have a 40' Aft Cabin with no dingy. We always stay at transient slips and never anchor or moor out. I was worried that this might not be the case with a 53. Many of the marinas we have stayed at would have difficulty with a 53, so I thought anchoring out might be more normal, and therefore a dingy would be needed. Is this the case? Or do owners of 53s just be more selective of what marinas they visit?

To be honest, I am very intimidated by the 53. I have only been boating for 2 seasons. The 40' is my first boat. I have a lot to learn about handling and owning a boat as large as a 53. I was scared as hell about the 40' when I first got her, but I knew I would learn quickly and soon I got the hang of it. Right now the 53 feels like a cruise ship when I am on the flybridge. :-)
    I had Weaver davits on the swim platform to store a dink on my 41' trawler. Launch took just a few minutes and the dink got used very frequently. Now on the 48MY the dink is on the hard top and launch and retrieval is a PITA so we use the dink only if we will be in one location a while. There are several more elegant solutions to storing the dink above the swim platform that would be even easier to use than the Weaver davits.

I also agree with others re size. I've had boats from 16' to the current 48MY. The bigger it is, the easier it is to handle.

The 53 classic MY is a beauty. I too have a size limit so the 48 works well. One down side for us to the 53 is that curving stair case. I worry about footing in a sea way.

Bobk

Looking glass. I too just purchased a 53 and was nervous about handling it. But as Walt said the 53 handles great. It maneuvers around the dock like a dream. At slow speeds the rudders are worthless but the props do a great job In putting the boat where u want it. For me I couldn't image not having a dingy. I love to anchor out and hate being tied to a dock. I choose the 53 for its size and draft. It is a great compromise that should allow you to get a slip and be able to navigate into shallower bays for anchorage. Welcome to the forum it's the first thing I look at every morning and the last every evening Pete.

I am happy to hear from all of you that operating the 53 is not as hard as I imagined. Most of the problems I have had docking the Aft Cabin related to being carried by wind or current. I have seen that many of the larger boats have Bow Thrusters and I was concerned that the 53s did not have them. Your comments put my mind at ease.

Currently when docking, my wife will be on the swim platform and jump off when I am next to the slip and help pull me in and tie off. I guess this will no longer be the case in the 53. It seems I will always be looking for the marina to send out dock hands. Is this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I had Weaver davits on the swim platform to store a dink on my 41' trawler. Launch took just a few minutes and the dink got used very frequently. Now on the 48MY the dink is on the hard top and launch and retrieval is a PITA so we use the dink only if we will be in one location a while. There are several more elegant solutions to storing the dink above the swim platform that would be even easier to use than the Weaver davits.

I also agree with others re size. I've had boats from 16' to the current 48MY. The bigger it is, the easier it is to handle.

The 53 classic MY is a beauty. I too have a size limit so the 48 works well. One down side for us to the 53 is that curving stair case. I worry about footing in a sea way.

Bobk
    I see that Weaver makes several types of Davits. Which one are you using?

Have a look at the 50MY as well. Same layout as the 53MY. Just not as many built.

I launch my dinghy (11 ft. Boston Whaler with a 15 hp Yamaha) from the flybridge all the time. It did get a lot easier some years back when I added an electric winch to the davit. That old manual crank was murder!

I believe the only model of this boat has the galley down. Dinette can feed six kids. Our original high/low table in the salon can feed 10 if they are good friends. Sending the place settings and the food up is only a slight bit more work for the pleasure of our 360 degree view. And with that many people on board it is easy to divide up the work.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 11-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    I see that Weaver makes several types of Davits. Which one are you using?
    I don't know a model number, but they had pads glued to the Hypalon tubes and a spring loaded catch on the platform. When you step on the tube when the parts are together they lock. A BIG BENEFIT IS THE ADDED STABILITY WHEN BOARDING THE DINK. We used a line to pull the dink to the vertical position and locked it up via the stand-off.

Looks like this: http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/p...ength-No-Clips

Bobk
    Last edited by bobk; 11-12-2016 at 07:17 PM.

hi Looking Glass ...we too were originally looking to buy a Hat 53' MY our friend has one and we just loved it and we looked at a lot of 53' even flew out at a moments notice to go see them....then i told my broker we were going to the Ft. Lauderdale area and he told us to go look at this Hat 56' MY and that was the end of the search for the 53' MY we ended up buying a Hat 56' MY ....not the one in Ft. Lauderdale...with the wide beam it just makes for so much more room on the boat .... we came from a 37' Sea Ray Sundancer so like you i was nervous to say the least about the HUGE BOAT we just bought but we hired a captain ...Bruce Morrison... and he taught me how to handle the boat and after 4 day Bruce said i was fine handling the boat by myself which i do...yes we do have a bow thruster and i use it all the time just love it....the boat gets easier to handle the more you use it ...we just did a trip up north to NJ for the summer and south back to Florida i docked the boat every night of our cruising and i got so good at it that i had to back up the boat from the ICW in Florida over 300' in a very narrow fairway to our slip doing a S turn i even surprised myself but i did it ....
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

There is a 1977 53' MY for sale in Tarpon Springs, FL. It is listed on the Tampa Bay area Craigslist page for $149,995.00. The owner says its in excellent condition and only 1,400 hours on engines.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5838935190.html

i have a 1977 53MY which is in good to excellent condition which i have been upgrading for the last 4 years. seen your add and started thinking maybe it's time to sell seeing that my health has been deteriorating for the last 4 years and is getting more difficult to handle. if interested call or text me at 904-994-9888 my name is Dennis the boat is located in flagler beach FL thanks