Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaft Logs

Shaft Logs

Inspecting bilge and components yesterday. Shaft log clamps are looking pretty corroded. Do not know if they have ever been replaced on my 72 Hatt. What is expected life? Recommendations on replacement. Looks like access is going to be a real pain.
    PV23

Re: Shaft Logs

I have the philosophy " if you think something is wrong it is ".

Depending on the kind of clamp you have, especially if not stainless steel, hardware may be even worse in places you can't see.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I can't imagine anyone not using SS clamps on the shaft logs but they don't last forever. While the hoses are usually a tight fit the clamps are cheap and easy to replace. My concern is more someone having used the cheapest SS clamps... find the best one you can, preferably made in the us. The solid clamps, instead of the basic perforated clamps, are less likely to fail
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I can't imagine anyone not using SS clamps on the shaft logs but they don't last forever. While the hoses are usually a tight fit the clamps are cheap and easy to replace. My concern is more someone having used the cheapest SS clamps... find the best one you can, preferably made in the us. The solid clamps, instead of the basic perforated clamps, are less likely to fail
    Good morning, would this be an appropriate clamp?... http://parts.samsmarine.com/PartSear...emNmbr=C929655

T-bolt clamps are very limited in size range. They have to be accurately speced for the application. Most shaft log hoses and my dripless seals use a good quality conventional clamp which seems to be more than adequate. The existing clamps should have a number on them which is the size. SAM's should also know what you need.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Sams has what you need and you can be sure of the quality.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The original clamps on our 1965 Hat were heavy bronze clamps with a hex bolt. I've since replaced them with SS T-bolt clamps from Buck Algonquin. While I'm confident the SS clamps are good quality, I'm not sure that the original bronze clamps are not better. There is no apparent problem with the bronze clamps. I replaced them out of an abundance of caution given their age.

I suggest you buy application specific hose and clamps from someone like Buck Algonquin. The forces experienced by shaft log hose and clamps is not the same as on water hoses and clamps.

If you want to use SS band clamps, the best ones are made by Awab. But I think you would be better off with a properly slzed T-bolt clamp. Not because it squeezes harder, which you don't need, but because it is less likely to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    "I can't imagine anyone not using SS clamps on the shaft logs ", when our boats were built Hatters didn't use Stainless.

I do agree on the quality issue!!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I replaced all my hoses with silicone and t-bolt clamps...IMHO..they suck! I've since replaced most of them with Gates 323 series liner clamps, in stainless. The Gates clamps are 9/16 wide, vs 1/2 and provide a better seal. Just my 2 cents.