Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: $35,000 quote for Amtico for a little over 430 square feet

Not sure what Amtico costs these days, but if you are directed to glue the Nuatikflor on boats, it is virtually the same products. The Amtico has about a 40 year history of excellent performance.

I do not have a dog in this fight just trying add some info for those considering a floor.

BTW, although a little off the specific topic, I would suggest that rubber flooring be ruled out for any ER use (or other high oil/grease areas). Oil will cause rubber to break down and expand. Even "oil resistant" rubber will be affected. If you like the embossed patterns on rubber tiles (I cannot think of a sheet rubber that has embossed patterns such as discs, steel plate, etc.) I would rcommend a vinyl product such as Lonseal. I have had good success on installations in high oil areas (such as garage offices and commercial kitchens) when I was a flooring contractor.

I paid $8 a foot or so for T&H Amtico a few months ago so the costs are pretty much the same.

As mentioned earlier the Amtico is a pain to install because of the thin holly strips. I found it difficult to get the right amount of glue down so that the is enough to hold the Amtico but not too much that it does leak out between the strips resulting in time consuming clean up.

The wide planks of the Nautikflor eliminate this issue.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Been a while since I sold an Amtico job. Used to be glued with a very fine notched trowel and an acrylic adhesive. Not sure if they approve of a roller (I don't like using them- trowel is far superior). I feel your pain installing feature strips! If you closely watch your open and set up times for the adhesive, bleeding should not be a major issue. Mostly due to installing in the glue too fast after spreading, i.e. not letting it flash off sufficiently.

Pascal, just be glad you did not have to use the old style epoxies. The newer urethane and acrylic adhesives have made installation far, far easier.

As I used to ask our installers during training programs while holding a trowel aloft: What is this? Invariable a 1st or 2nd year apprentice would answer an installation tool. Incorrect! It is a measuring device. Too little mastic, product won't hold; too much, it will never set up and cure properly.