Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: $35,000 quote for Amtico for a little over 430 square feet

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Should have added....GREAT job!!! and a Great Wife!!!!!

I fixed it for you
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I got a quote that was probably from the an outfit in Suffolk County, NY. Same price. I choked too.
    still looking for someone.
    Last edited by jpk55; 10-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks to input on this forum i installed Amtico myself. I got lucky and obtained solid mahogony boards that were wide enough for the stair treads. MikeP has written some excellent "how to" on the subject.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Keep looking and look at the flooring Eric recommended. If he says it looks good, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Take a look at http://www.nautikflor.com/ We just had some installed in a Nordic Tug here and it really looks nice. Amtico is a great product but IMHO is a labor intensive PIA to install.
    Who did you get to install the nautikfloor? It looks nice. I'm on the west coast and don't know if there is an installer here for that product.

Thanks!

Think I have intimated before I was a flooring contractor for the majority of my career. 35K is obscene. Carpet labor is always high for a boat but a tile type floor is not anywhere near as large a labor premium and materials are not marked up additioanlly as we too accustomed to seeing for most items labeled "Marine". The small feature strips re more costly but not an inordinate amount.

Someone posted floor needs to be level- not quite true- it must be flat. High spots ground down and low spots filled. Bots do present some issues on materials suitable for doing this.

I personally would be a bit leery of the Nautikflor as I am not a big fan of "click" type floorings. My second career was as a forensic flooring consultant, i.e. I assess fault in floor failures. I have always called click type floors job security
    Last edited by PeterK; 10-21-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Peter, can you elaborate on what the issues with "click" flooring? For Marine use they recommend gluing so I m not sure what issues the click assembly would create once glued.

I got an email from Nautikflor quoting $9.90 per sq ft which is pretty reasonable.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Who did you get to install the nautikfloor? It looks nice. I'm on the west coast and don't know if there is an installer here for that product.

Thanks!
    A local guy named Eric Jans who has lots of boat/cabinet/flooring install experience. Several members here know his work. He had no problems at all with the install.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Click floors usually do not use glue and are a "floating" (I'm mot making this up allthough it does sound like a good idea for a boat ) where an underlayment pad is installed over the substrate (which as said before must be flat) and the weight of the floor holds it in place. The floor can expand and contract based on moisture content (more applicable to wood and HPL floors thn a vinyl product). Care must be taken to have the proper expansion space at the permiter and to not have anything permanenetly installed on the floor (no nails or screws through the flooring, including fasteners for the wall base or shoe moldings.) I saw on their site in one sentence they state use glue but in the video they do not.

The issues I have seen, and again bear in mind I have spent the last 20 years primarily looking at complaints and failures, are:
    Uneven subfloors
    Deflection of substrate (up and down movement between joists)
    Floor being pinned to substrate (nails, screws, even counters installed on top). Note: appliances and furniture are fine and do not impede the shriik and swell of the floor.
    Broken locking mechanisms, i.e. the "click" components. They can break for too numerous reasons than to list here.

Specifically on Nautikflor, I have zero first hand knowledge. They may well have built a better mousetrap which would be great. If you use this product I would get in writing if glue is needed or not to assure you don't void any warranty (yes, many flooring manufacturers do look very hard for any means to avoid their culpabilty- big shock I'm sure...) I am merely trying to put out some information of similar materials I have very extensive first hand experience with. I again offer my opinion that with the all the types of movement boats experience, I am leery of this.
    Last edited by PeterK; 10-22-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Good info. Thanks.

On the site they recommend floating for shore based installations but glued with the glue they supply for marine installations. They quoted me for the supplied glue.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat