Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

$35,000 quote for Amtico for a little over 430 square feet

The carpet in my boat is getting worn so I decided I'd get a quote to have Amtico teak and holly installed. The first carpeting/flooring guy came by and said my boat was too complicated so he would take a pass. Surprised me but if he doesn't want my money he doesn't. The only quote I've gotten so far is for $35,000 for the entire boat. This is just for the interior. The boat has one set of stairs going from the salon to the master cabin and another 5 stairs going from the salon to the galley. Beyond that the floors are regular floors. I have carpeting in the entire boat with the exception of the helm and galley which has the original Hatteras parquet flooring.
    I just about spit out my coffee when I got the quote. I think I'm just going to use new carpeting at this quote was insane. I can get my 12V71TI rebuilt for the amount of coin. The boat is a 1987 63' MY that last had flooring put in around 7 years ago. Thoughts?

Ron

Re: $35,000 quote for Amtico for a little over 430 square feet

The outfit that provided the $35k quote doesn't want the job either. Keep trying.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

You must have used the word "yacht" at some point in the conversation....

I recently paid $8 per sq ft for T&H Amtico, so for you 430 sq ft that would be around $3500/4000 with the glue... Yes, it is a time consuming job but even if it would take a week to do the whole boat.... That s just plain stupid.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The first thought that came to mind when I read this thread title was, Diesel Don does Amtico now? LOL
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Take a look at http://www.nautikflor.com/ We just had some installed in a Nordic Tug here and it really looks nice. Amtico is a great product but IMHO is a labor intensive PIA to install.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

That looks very promising, how does it compare to Amtico aesthetically ? Amtico is a real pita to install....

A quick search shows that it's pretty close in cost about $10 per sq ft
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-20-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ron, go with a darker carpet. The near white you have is to hard to maintain. I love the hard wood but in the living area keep it warm and comfortable. You could re carpet the boat 8 times before spending that kind of money.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree the $35k number is ridiculous, but this flooring is tedious to install correctly. It also requires a perfectly level sub-surface. I had it installed in our 41 DCMY. I can't tell you what it cost because its buried in other costs associated with the installation. The cabin sole in our 50 year old Hat was sagging and irregular in many places. While the Amteako was expensive, it cost even more to rebuild the structure around the engine room hatches and support and level the floor before the installation.

43 convertible. My wife....with no prior experience....installed Amtico in our salon and two staterooms over cork and plywood subflooring. The entire job took 3 days max. Not a MY but still.......

Should have added....GREAT job!!!