Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane Prep

Hurricane Prep

So, sitting here in Lighthouse Point with Bella Sophia tied up in the middle of the canal. The eye of Matthew stayed to the east a little so it shouldn't be a factor. Expecting 60 mph winds on the back side tonight. Not as bad as it could have been.

Question. When tied off in the middle of Canal with no shore power, generator on or off?
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Re: Hurricane Prep

I would stay on board and obviously run teh Genset

if not staying on the boat, I'd probably leave the Genset off. Obviously safety switches woudl shut if off if raw water flow is reduced but chances are that with all the debris, it will shut down. So no need to bother.

Also depends if you're staying ashore next to the boat in which case you can gp back on quickly. If you need to evacuate it may be days before the nanny state authorities let you back in so do y want to let it run for that long?

Tough one

Personally, unless one has bigger priorities like s big home or business, in this case I can understand why anyone up to vero beach or even a little higher didn't move their boats south to miami or the keys as the forecast was so clear
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-06-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We went up the St Lucie north branch and, thankfully the small jog east spared us the worst. Ironically, the 2 boats ahead of me came UP from Lauderdale!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    We went up the St Lucie north branch and, thankfully the small jog east spared us the worst. Ironically, the 2 boats ahead of me came UP from Lauderdale!
    Peter, good to hear you made out OK. Did you anchor? Where and what ground tackle? I was going to suggest Kitching Cove to you, but the boats that tried that in 2004(?) all dragged in the soft ooze.

Bobk