Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

56' MY can it plane>

hello all we have a 1981 56' MY and was wondering if this boat can be made to go up on Plane... 4 do any other 56' owners make their boat Plane i would really like to know if its possible to do that on this model we have tried many times but can never get enough speed to seem to push the bow down... yes we use the Trim Tabs ...the best speed we have gotten with this boat was 15knts in the Tampa Bay flat calm and just out of the boat yard with new bottom paint...we always keep our bottom clean so thats not the problem...we just had the props tuned and prop speed at General Propeller in Bradenton Fl. we told them our issue and they calculated and repitched the props from 30x29 to 30x28 4 blade said it would help but nothing happened ....we have DD 8v-92ti and our WOT is 2200-2250 RPMs...any ideas?
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Re: 56' MY can it plane>

Sounds like you might be overpropped. I believe those engines should be propped to 2350~2400rpm WOT.

WOT should be 2300-2350 fully loaded
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Sounds like you might be overpropped. I believe those engines should be propped to 2350~2400rpm WOT.
    I believe that is correct. You should turn 2350 loaded. I'm sure the boat planed when new or they wouldn't have sold them to anybody. Weight, engine condition, and bottom condition are all factors as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3000 lbs of personal items may be one of the factors too. I've looked at a few boats over the years that seem to loose more and more speed only to find they have more stuff in there than I have in a 4 car garage.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You are absolutely right Bob, I sold my last boat and when we finished unloading the boat it raised 3 1/2 inches. We had over loaded it for 18 years. My new Hatteras is being keep light weight. My wife isn't happy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I well know the weight issue. My 48 was advertised as 44,000 pounds dry. One haul out had it at 53,000 and that was for a summer layup in 2014. It adds up fast. Fortunately we do not want to go fast.

Bobk

ok we have emptied our water tanks ...350gal x 8.36 lbs = 2962 lbs ... but we have added a 13' Boston Whaler with 40 hp engine on top less then 1000 lbs boat was made for that...we had a sectional couch that weighed a lot took 4 people to take it off we now have 2 couches that weigh less then the one we took off combined...we don't have a lot of personal stuff except your normal stuff sheets towels and some of our clothes in the galley normal stuff from pots to dishes and food items ...i'm sure Hatteras took that into account when they build the boat i hope...about being over propped according to General Propeller i am under propped they told me i should be 32 x 30 4 blade ..we do try to run with full fuel tanks as much as possible n less the 50 gal. in the holding tank ...i do carry 15 gal. of extra motor oil
    i understand about not being 2350 WOT but thats just 150 RPMs less is that making that much of a difference ....i guess i will have to tell the wife she needs to take all her bathing suites off the boat and i guess i have to take all the liquor off too...but my cigars stay...
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I well know the weight issue. My 48 was advertised as 44,000 pounds dry. One haul out had it at 53,000 and that was for a summer layup in 2014. It adds up fast. Fortunately we do not want to go fast.

Bobk
    Bob we do not want to go fast either ...we only do 8 -10 knts at between 1200 - 1350 RPMs depending on the current we burn 10 gal an hour we like the fuel economy ....but when it starts to get bad outside would like to know that we could get on plane and do 18 knts ? ...don't care about the fuel burn...so we could get to a safe place faster...
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Cigars have a low enough density to be left aboard.

The real question now turns to 2 things.

Engine performance. Are they healthy and strong or are you carrying 5000 lbs of water in the keel or somewhere.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.