Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how far can heel

hi guys we traveled from Cape May NJ to Ocean City MD yesterday about 5 miles offshore ...weather only called for 10 - 15 knt winds and seas 3 to 5 with the winds out of the N ...i guess mother nature didn't get the memo....we have traveled in those conditions before with no problems but yesterday the winds turned on us from the E and they were blowing at 20 to 25 + knots with gusts over 30 knts and the seas turned 4 to 6 ft. + on the beam even with the stabilizers we were heeling pretty bad one wave with the wind gust heeled us 30 degrees as per our gauge as u can imagine the Admiral was pretty nervous ....my question is how far can we heel before she rolls over....we are on a 1981 56' MY...does anybody have any ideas??
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Re: how far can heel

Looks like you're going to be sitting in Ocean City for a while. Winds are supposed to blow ENE 25kts-35kts for the next few days.
    Jack Sardina

Joe,

That area can be nasty as you have already experienced. Jack is correct that you should plan to get to know Ocean City as you will be there for a while. When you decide to leave, remember that if you have only marginally good conditions it may get really sporting when you arrive at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. I have done that run quite a few times and like you have had to deal with nasty conditions. The University of Delaware monitors the sea conditions from NJ to the Chesapeake and their information is probably more accurate than most. They actually got real world conditions from folks like you and establish a data base that they shared with other boaters. If memory serves me they requested your input of conditions at your particular location (lat/lon) and would tell you what other boaters reported along your route.

BTW 30 deg is probably OK but it frequently requires a change of underwear afterwards. Be safe and enjoy the seafood at OC.

Walt

Hope you're docked at Sunset Marina, not a better marina on the East Coast.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Joe,

That area can be nasty as you have already experienced. Jack is correct that you should plan to get to know Ocean City as you will be there for a while. When you decide to leave, remember that if you have only marginally good conditions it may get really sporting when you arrive at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. I have done that run quite a few times and like you have had to deal with nasty conditions. The University of Delaware monitors the sea conditions from NJ to the Chesapeake and their information is probably more accurate than most. They actually got real world conditions from folks like you and establish a data base that they shared with other boaters. If memory serves me they requested your input of conditions at your particular location (lat/lon) and would tell you what other boaters reported along your route.

BTW 30 deg is probably OK but it frequently requires a change of underwear afterwards. Be safe and enjoy the seafood at OC.

Walt
    hi Walt hi Jack we don't mind sitting here for a few days the food is very good...looks like our first window is Monday ....we need to make Hampton VA which is about 100 mile ...but after yesterday the wife said Not till its a pleasure out there....lol
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Good decision... besides it not such a bad situation. You get to relax, meet other boaters in the same situation, relax some more, have a few drinks or coffee, relax again and so on......

Life's good

Walt

In these days of automation some days sea conditions dictate that you need to steer the boat on the best angle to the waves and speed to provide comfort and safety for your boat and crew.just as a sailboater must tack back and forth sometimes you need to run a quartering heading to keep the seas off your beam. Hands. On the wheel keeps you ready for that big one that can come along and turn the boat turtle.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You don't "need" to be anywhere. You want to be somewhere. Having a schedule you "hate to" stick to in boating is a good way to get hurt or killed. Lay over for a while, until things like down. Ask the guy who ran the "Bounty", if you can reach him.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You don't "need" to be anywhere. You want to be somewhere. Having a schedule you "hate to" stick to in boating is a good way to get hurt or killed. Lay over for a while, until things like down. Ask the guy who ran the "Bounty", if you can reach him.
    hi Jim when i said we "need" i did not mean we had to leave Monday we will stay put till its Safe to GO we don't NEED to be anyplace anytime ...i think i might have phrased that wrong ....i don't know where we can tuck in going south from Ocean City MD what i have been searching on Waterway Guide and the charts the only place would be Chincoteague Inlet and there are no Marinas that we can go to and the Inlet is not the best so i guess i meant that going to Hampton VA was our next stop on our way south back to Florida.....we will be taking the ICW from there to Morehead City NC...we are also keeping an eye out on that Tropical Storm that they say will become a Hurricane we are to Not sure if being in Ocean City is a good place to ride out that storm if it comes this way.....do you guy have any ideas where to ride out the storm if it comes this way????
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

That storm is a long ways off and if it does come up this way it won't be until late next week at the earliest. If you're planning on running the ICW to Morehead City, anywhere along that route will be fine unless the storm gets huge and very powerful. I doubt that will be the case as these late season storms aren't as much of a problem when they get that far north. If it does pack a punch, Spooner's Creek in MC has an excellent reputation as a safe hurricane hole.
    Jack Sardina