Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: How to heat the cabin for winter projects

Good point! I will also look into those! Thanks Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    There's also a great deal to be said for good quality insulated coveralls. Heating an uninsulated boat is a frustrating and expensive endeavor, and they're handy for doing other winter jobs like running snowblowers (one with a hood helps a lot with that).

So is that how you get so much done over the winter

Maybe you should try getting a heater also?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

So now I'm noodling two of those heaters and overalls. My thought is that I would be a lot happier during the cold months if I could get some things done on the boat............but I HATE THE COLD!

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    So is that how you get so much done over the winter

Maybe you should try getting a heater also?

I also have an electric heater. By itself it isn't enough.

Not getting work done over the winter has nothing to do with the cold. Well, maybe a couple of days.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    So now I'm noodling two of those heaters and overalls. My thought is that I would be a lot happier during the cold months if I could get some things done on the boat............but I HATE THE COLD!
    I too hate the cold also and I have done 85% of all my rework on her during the winter months because I always have used her in the summer months. That's why I use heaters and I have used them all including this one for years.

This was the best a Kerosun Monitor 20 used outside air and was even able to setup on a 5 gallon kerosene tank would have it kick on 2 hrs before arrival. I just can't use it anymore where I am
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Oil filled electric heaters are the safest.
    Agreed. I use a small, electric fan behind mine to force warm air where I want it.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Agreed. I use a small, electric fan behind mine to force warm air where I want it.
    Yeah thats fine for a chilly day but he is in R.I and would need 3 1/2 of them to get the BTU's and would need 40 amp just for the heater then forget about using tools. I do run 1 electric when not there to keep it a little better and prevent sweating when I turn the real heat on.
    Most of the time in winter you are working with very limited amount of power if on the hard which is 99% of the boats in the N.E guess that's why the question was directed to us so try to follow along
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Dan iS right. It gets really cold up here. The electric heaters really don't cut it. I use the boat in the summer as well, and hate the thought of freezing my @ss off in the winter but I have some things I really want to get done before next summer.

70k BTU kerosene bazooka and a reasonable amount of common sense.

I lived in Japan for quite a while. The American fear of unvented petroleum-fueled heaters is not without merit, but ventilating heated space periodically isn't rocket science, and unvented kero is the standard in many, many countries. Granted, they don't use bazookas in Japan, but that's a bit of a detail. Ensuring there are no flammables in close proximity to the bazooka outlet also is not rocket science. Heating up a 46' boat on a 25°F day to sweatshirt temps in 25 minutes...not priceless, but pretty close. Insulation helps, too.

Yes I get that, but I really don't like the smell of those heaters. Makes me feel like in going to get sick. Never do, and it's probably paranoia, but I don't like them.