Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mufflers.

Mufflers.

Yesterday I started disassembling the master stateroom for a makeover. I noticed that there are two different mufflers instated. The one one the starboard is long and narrow and on the port is short and wider. Now I know why the engines have a different sound. I think it's like that to make room for the vanity. I will be removing the vanity and want to push back the drawers as far as possible and would like the long and narrow type. I searched online and found Centek veratone mufflers as an option for replacement. Does anyone have a good source or thoughts? I didn't find any online stores for mufflers of that size. I search the existing mufflers for a product label and found nothing. If anyone has replaced theirs your feedback would be appreciated. Pete

Re: Mufflers.

I would first check with Sam's and see if any are still available for that model. Hatteras left a lot of spares with Sam's to sell off. Sam's may also have the spec for the muffler. If not, measure the one you like and contact Centek. More than likely they will have what you need, or can make it.

I had removed the original DD bronze mufflers from my 350 hp 8-71Ns because they kept developing cracks at their bases and leaking seawater. The six inch "straight pipes" started out sounding pretty nifty but proved to be pretty tiring on long voyages. When I re-engined some 22 years ago I wanted mufflers. My marine engineer friend told me I could either put water lift mufflers in the engine room or Vernatone mufflers under each of my aft cabin twin berths. As we were going to 550 hp per side this would be an improvement. Mine have been flawless for this time. The exhaust diameter was increased to ten inches to reduce back pressure and even with the new mufflers was only about 0.2 inches (of something, probably mercury but maybe water). This made the boat much quieter. I did not notice any increase in cabin temperature from the exhaust. On long passages I sometimes nap on my bunk and don't notice any more noise other than the usual rattle and prop noise which only bother me when they stop.

These mufflers are big, both long and fat so could be a problem if you have a queen bed or other modifications.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    Yesterday I started disassembling the master stateroom for a makeover. I noticed that there are two different mufflers instated. The one one the starboard is long and narrow and on the port is short and wider. Now I know why the engines have a different sound. I think it's like that to make room for the vanity. I will be removing the vanity and want to push back the drawers as far as possible and would like the long and narrow type. I searched online and found Centek veratone mufflers as an option for replacement. Does anyone have a good source or thoughts? I didn't find any online stores for mufflers of that size. I search the existing mufflers for a product label and found nothing. If anyone has replaced theirs your feedback would be appreciated. Pete

I sell the center and vernatone lines. The detroits need a lot of breathing room to move all that air without causing back pressure. I usually work with the engineers to guarantee the flow and estimated noise reduction. It's not always an off the Internet solution.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott I would be interested in chatting about my situation. I plan on measuring my existing muffler today. But I do believe they are 10 inch input and output. According to Centek data that would be rated up to 680 hp. My boat has 8v71ti 435 hp. I also see that Centek makes round and oval mufflers. Please feel free to send me a private message.

I should add that my marine engineer friend did a complete work up for the installation of my new engines including transmissions, shafting, props, intake air mufflers, etc. Even though Jack Hargrave had recommended the DD 6V-92TA engines for installation to me I quickly realized this was far above my pay grade. All this increased the cost, but has paid off in 22 years of flawless operation.

I would never call boating an investment but as boating goes this has worked out well. My wife once commented, "This may not be the most cost-effective way to do it, but anything that makes our children and grandchildren WANT to be with us is not all bad."
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    I should add that my marine engineer friend did a complete work up for the installation of my new engines including transmissions, shafting, props, intake air mufflers, etc. Even though Jack Hargrave had recommended the DD 6V-92TA engines for installation to me I quickly realized this was far above my pay grade. All this increased the cost, but has paid off in 22 years of flawless operation.

I would never call boating an investment but as boating goes this has worked out well. My wife once commented, "This may not be the most cost-effective way to do it, but anything that makes our children and grandchildren WANT to be with us is not all bad."
    She hit that on the head. The family love the boat and look forward to every visit.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

8. Re: Mufflers.

On our boat last season one of the inlets had a hairline crack and was leaking a bit so we ended up taking it out and getting an identical muffler made up in Bellingham based on the old muffler. Given the cost to ship something of that size across the country and the availability of custom parts locally it made more sense to source it locally. I think we paid in the neighborhood of 2k for it FWIW.