Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC fan

AC fan

First of many questions: My 2 AC units seem to work fine, blow nice and cold, but when set point is reached, the compressor shuts down, but not the air handlers. I waited for them to shut off, but they never did. Are they designed this way, or do I have goofy thermostat wiring? The thermostats are ancient, maybe original. Thanks in advance.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: AC fan

It depends on which controls you have. The old 3 knob type the fan runs all the time. On the newer digitals, you can configure it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Depending on the age and condition of your AC units, you may want to add digital controls. They are a very useful upgrade- but the digital controls that are added to older (analog) CruiseAires will not work with new AC units, if I understand correctly. However, the digital controls give you much better operation of the AC systems, and they regulate the cabin temps much better than the original controls do.

If your AC units are the ones that came in the boat, it is worth having them looked at to see if they are in good enough shape to justify upgrading to modern digital controls. I had the two units in my boat done, and I am delighted with them.

I believe all new AC units, regardless of who builds them, come with digital controls- but they will not be the same digital controls.

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    First of many questions: My 2 AC units seem to work fine, blow nice and cold, but when set point is reached, the compressor shuts down, but not the air handlers. I waited for them to shut off, but they never did. Are they designed this way, or do I have goofy thermostat wiring? The thermostats are ancient, maybe original. Thanks in advance.
    Yours may be different but ours is the old original and there is a toggle switch with 3 positions. The middle position turns the fan off on ours. BTW - we are also in Punta Gorda (Burnt Store Marina).
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have the original three knob set up, although it's like George Washington's ax---replacement. replacement, replacement...

It may be that I am just used to it, but I like the fan staying on. My AC vents are pretty small by today's standards so the airflow makes quite a bit of noise. When we are at a marina and plugged in to shore power I usually keep the master stateroom AC on because it masks the outside noise. (Yachting may be elegant, but your neighbors are closer to you than in any trailer park!) I have stayed in some new energy-saving hotels lately where they have eliminated keeping the fan on when the compressor goes off. Not only does this mean the AC frequently whooshes and rattles into action, it also means I can't hear the end of the argument between the couple in the next room. Both keep me awake.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Mine is set to go to low when it hits temp and shuts the compressor. I believe the boats need some circulation so I would not shut it down completely.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Mine is set to go to low when it hits temp and shuts the compressor. I believe the boats need some circulation so I would not shut it down completely.
    Ditto for us.

Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't thought about continuous air circulation being desirable; I guess I'll just turn the rheostat all the way to low, and let it run.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I guess I'll just turn the rheostat all the way to low, and let it run.
    That's what I do.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"