Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hull #1, 50' Motoryacht 1964 "HOPE"

I don't know why you seem to have such a problem with me BoatsB. I am merely pondering the topic of motor yacht design. The original 50 Hatteras was groundbreaking. I'm interested in everything about boats. Including new ones.

I happen to think the new Hatteras 70 is pretty cool looking. I also happen to think a new generation 53 using the same styling cues as the new Hatteras 70 could be a hit.

I just hope that HOPE goes to a loving new owner who can appreciate what she started more than 50 years ago.

History is a wonderful thing but progress is what it represents. Progress from what was the norm 50 years ago is not progress today.

Buyers today want significantly different boats. He old styles just don't sell boats and suggesting a. Company should go back an restyle their modern boats like old style is not going to build sales in the mainstream.

Even the musle cars they build today that have ties in styling to the old school have a very limited market.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It is a beautiful boat and with my limited knowledge it is worth more than $75,000.

Quote Originally Posted by season View Post
    Hello all. While I check the forum daily I have not posted in a while. We moved to Port St Lucie, Fl last fall and I am now actively looking to get back on the water. Boarded a 29 Blackfin FB for sale yesterday in Deerfield Beach. While searching the forum for feedback on the brand came across this link to a video of the boat test for Hull #1 for the Hatteras 50 footer. Could this actually be film of Hope? Thanks to all on the forum for all of the great information on everything marine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRr6yPOa8I
    Yes, the video is of Hope. I found the video along time ago and even contacted Hatteras to find out. Another really cool thing is if you look up 50' Hatteras for aparrel, the shirts and stuff that have to old classic look is of my boat.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Im still up in the air about getting rid of her. We've been living aboard for awhile and just really love the lifestyle. As much as I know that owning a house is usually a better financial decision, Hope is a part of me. I will be posting pics soon.

Hi My50Hatteras. Is there an e-mail address for interested parties to contact you? Also, please post a few current photos here.

My50HatterasWe have the 28th 50M/Y and love it! We love the classic Hatteras style and look; and we love the life style - we sold our house, 90% of our stuff and live on board. We wouldn't trade it for he world!Just think, if your neighbors piss you off you just move the whole "house"! LOL!
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Years ago, there was a company in Annapolis which built very fine motoryachts. Parts of the boatyard that built them (John Trumpy and Sons, I think) are still in Eastport, Annapolis.

There have been several efforts to revive the Trumpy name and designs. None of them have gone anywhere as far as I can tell. The usual series of events is a lot of lovely sketches, a big press launch, and then nothing. Certainly no actual boats. If anyone knows different, I'd like to be wrong about this.

Old makes DO get revived occasionally- the exception which perhaps proves the rules is Indian Motorcycles, which (after a few failed attempts) was bought by Polaris, who successfully revived the name, with a complete line of modern bikes which look like vintage Indians. This is an instructive case of how to succeed at the revival of an old name, because Polaris had 1) a great deal of capital to do this 2) a very good engineering staff already available in house 3) experience building motorcycles.

Hatteras Yachts has two of those ingredients. They also own the designs for their older boats. But (as Scott points out) modern MY customers are not shopping for an old-appearing boat (if you want to be kind, you can call it 'vintage styling'), any more than modern luxury car buyers are looking for a 1957 Cadillac.

For the cost of a modern MY (several million bucks) you COULD buy a 53 or a 58 Hatteras, and completely go through it and install modern propulsion, electricals, plumbing, nav systems etc. You would then have a beautiful boat that was worth a small fraction of what you had put into it. You would also have the small interior spaces, dated but beautiful styling etc, that the boat was built with.

When you were done with such a boat, you would end up selling it to a member of this forum for pennies on the dollar. The forum member would be delighted, and you would have taken a bath on the project.

There isn't a huge market for big MYs right now, evidently, and the segment we represent- folks who prefer the styling and layout of the older boats- is a small part of a market that isn't that large to begin with. I do wish Hatteras would make a 'small' convertible (the size of the express boat they now build) but I think building a boat that looks like their old MY series would be a pointless endeavor. New MY buyers are not the same people as buyers of used older MYs; they are a different income group and possibly a different demographic altogether.

I believe Jim and Scott are correct. While most of us on this forum lament the demise of our beautiful old classics, most of us are not the folks that will plunk down a couple of million or more for a brand new model. We do however have a real option, which is a complete restoration of our old girls (boats, not Admirals). While the cost would be substantial, it would still be considerably less than a new boat and the result would be delightful for us but not necessarily for the general market. A major factor to consider is that the original year of manufacture follows the boat so that even though you may have a "like new" boat, it is always "like new and not really new. Shops like Slane's can accomplish such a task and do it well. It is an option that I have contemplated but since I'm pushing the 80 mark, I don't think I have enough time left in boating to justify the cost and as Jim said you will lose most of your investment on a resale, so you need to keep and enjoy it yourself for a long time. There are only a few Yachtsman Willy's or Quinton's out there with the time, energy and skill, not to mention patience to be DIY restoration mavens.

Walt
    Last edited by Walter P; 09-11-2016 at 10:18 AM.

The thing about YW and Quinton is that they are doing it themselves, saving huge amounts in labor costs because they are using their own time. And they have the skill to do it. I don't- I am reasonably handy but not nearly at that level. We have some outstanding craftspeople on this forum, and their results show it.