Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hull #1, 50' Motoryacht 1964 "HOPE"

Feeling out the market. We are considering becoming landlubbers again.

We have the No. 1 Hull that Hatteras produced in the 50' Motoryacht. We are also the 2nd owner. We have been living aboard since we bought Hope from the original owners back in 2012. Since then, we have updated the Galley with new corian counter-tops, induction cook-top, convection microwave oven. Replaced the dinette with custom built buffet and bar, new lighting, and headliner. I hauled Hope out in 2014; new bottom paint with barrier coat, all new through hulls, and sea cocks and new sea strainers for AC and generators. We've ripped out the old carpet and replaced with laminate wood upstairs in the salon, and vinyl flooring through out the downstairs. All new Awlgrip for the decks and topside.

Like I said earlier, not really wanting to let go, but just seeing if there's a potential buyer.

Thinking of asking $75,000

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hope on her way.jpg

Re: Hull #1, 50' Motoryacht 1964 "HOPE"

I would think that with your improvements and if she is in good overall condition, including engines, you could get a little more for her. We have hull #28 and live on board. Can you provide a couple of pictures of what you did with the dinet; we are looking for ideas on what we could do with ours? Thanks, Marcus & Michelle
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I seem to remember that Hull #1 of the 50 MY was completely restored back in the early 80's. The story going around was that the job was done by Hatteras. Anyone else remember anything about it?

Walt

I remember speaking with Hope's captain when she was headquartered in Marsh Harbour, Abaco, probably in the '80s. She was a bonefishing charter boat. Had three Boston Whalers on her bridge deck. Would pick up charters in Marsh, then go around the bottom of Abaco and up to the flats east of Grand Bahama for a week at a time. I commented this must be hard to do without a flying bridge to look down and read the water. He agreed, but otherwise couldn't carry the Whalers. He made no mention of a prior factory overhaul, but I can't really pin down the decade we spoke.

Sam's model brochure section says the 50MY series began in December of 1964 and ended in October of 1968. My boat, hull #22, was delivered on January 7, 1966, so must have been built in late 1965. (Dad wanted her titled as a "newer boat." so had delivery delayed a bit.) I have not personally seen any other 50MYs, but because we have the identical layout of the 53MYs which proved so popular it seems to me unlikely that only two more were built between 1965 and 1968. I do know that a few hulls after Fanfare the salon was widened a foot by taking six inches off each side deck. So there have to be more. If there was no interest in this size MY would Hatteras then have retooled for the only slightly modified 53MY?

I would expect that orders for a particular model then in production would be aggregated because it makes no sense to make fiberglass boats one at a time. Pull out the molds, make a batch of hulls and decks, set up the jigs for the wooden interiors, produce and drop everything in at once and get them out the door. With all the different models Hatteras was making in 1966-7 floor space at the factory must have been at a premium. So where are the other 50MYs?
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I really like the way these boats look sans bridge- I'm sure the bridge makes for better running, but they really look nice just with the pilothouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I seem to remember that Hull #1 of the 50 MY was completely restored back in the early 80's. The story going around was that the job was done by Hatteras. Anyone else remember anything about it?Walt
    That was hull no.1 for the 42' I believe. It's parked at one of the docks in Ft. lauderdale I think.

Hello all. While I check the forum daily I have not posted in a while. We moved to Port St Lucie, Fl last fall and I am now actively looking to get back on the water. Boarded a 29 Blackfin FB for sale yesterday in Deerfield Beach. While searching the forum for feedback on the brand came across this link to a video of the boat test for Hull #1 for the Hatteras 50 footer. Could this actually be film of Hope? Thanks to all on the forum for all of the great information on everything marine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRr6yPOa8I

HOPE was first sold and delivered in December 1964 by Spencer Boat Company in West Palm Beach FL. (The Hatteras dealer at the time). I do know that Cable Marine East in Ft. Lauderdale rebuilt her engines about 25 years ago. The first owner maintained her at Cable Marine in Ft. Lauderdale and Spencer/Rybovich in West Palm during the time he owned her. I wish I were in the market right now. I would want her. She's American Yacht Building History.

If I were Hatteras I would scoop this boat up, restore and update it, hit the drawing boards and create a modern version of the same great concept of live aboard luxury and comfort. As a 50 or a 53. Display both boats side by side when you're ready to introduce the new one. "The Quintessential American Motor Yacht"...is Back! Hatteras could use a home run.

Consider how many people are spending $4 Million these days on ugly looking, uncomfortable, Sedan style Day Cruisers? What are they thinking??? That segment of the marketplace has never seen a mid-size flush deck, aft cabin "Motor Yacht" built by anyone in 25 years.

Back to the same argument. How many people will buy the classic lines and look? How do you amortize the investment of the project when the people interested in it are wanting to buy them when they hit 10 or 15 years old not new?

The market is what it is not what we want. I'd love to see a mid 40's convertible like the 45/46 with modern power and amenities but I'm not ready to buy it. I want to see it. I'm not the hatteras new boat buyer the need to attract and neither are you.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    That segment of the marketplace has never seen a mid-size flush deck, aft cabin "Motor Yacht" built by anyone in 25 years.
    That's because it truly is a pretty useless design for people that want a boat that size.

If Hatteras would have made boats like this in the 80's/90's and today, I think they would've sold a lot. People want to be near the water--that's why they are on a boat.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381