Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Honeymoon Harbor, Gun Cay Bahamas for Labor Day

Heading to Gun Cay for Labor Day weekend, any tips, tricks or other helpful information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. If anyone is going to be over that way let us know.
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Re: Honeymoon Harbor, Gun Cay Bahamas for Labor Day

Honeymoon harbor is a zoo on holiday week ends.... Be prepared to enjoy other's music playlists full blast

Anchoring off the east side of gun is better, have 6' MLW all the way to,shore and fewer boats

An alternative if the weather is settled is to anchor off bimini NE beaches... Nobody goes there and you have miles of pristine beaches, for the time being not destroyed by resort world
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On the way back in '14 we were going to anchor there on Memorial Day. We gave up and found a spot at Brown's. This was equally as bad a mistake.
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks to both of you for the info, hopefully since schools have just started it won't be too bad.
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Well, after a weather delay (seas) and a problem with the house battery bank we finally made it for a long, non-holiday, weekend! Besides the boats showing up for a few hours of play in the afternoon it was fairly quiet. Only a couple ther boats stayed at anchor. Overall relaxing and peaceful. Great opportunity to swim, kayak, and explore the area; found areas on backside of island to anchor next time (small cove mid-way on island) and explored Cat Cay.It all works out, I.e. Non-holiday weekend. LOL!
    Marcus & Michelle
    1968 50' MY Felicity
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Glad you had fun... It is a nice spot and th anchorage we use if stopping around Bimini waiting for the weather on the way back to the Exumas but As mentioned you want to avoid holiday week ends. We always anchor off the east shore swinging room is tight with a bigger boat in honeymoon and the current Makes it unpredictable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good call on a non holiday excursion!
    Regards
    Dan