Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

condensor pan not draining

air conditioner condensor pan on my 1983 46c overflows into fiberglass pan and eventually ends up in salon, not a good idea, this is the salon air condenser coil on the bridge, I have flushed lines, added a tee to stop any air lock issue, damn thing works for weeks, next time i go to the boat the headliner is drenched, happened three times last month in Great Harbour, no problems till now, hoping someone had a solution
    thanks

Re: condensor pan not draining

Sounds like a plugged drain. Use a shop vac to suck out debris from drain hole.

The shop vac is the ticket. This just happened to a friends Hatt. When he used the shop vac he heard a clump drop into the vacuum. No issues sense.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The problem is that the drain line probably runs horizontally and sit piles up in there with time. Water pressure or a shop vac with the right size hose is the best way.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

already flushed line with water hose, shop vac elbow on bottom of pan, can't raise condenser to see elbow from the top side, water runs out of boat fine with water hose on, could it be the mesh material under the condenser doesn't let pan drain fast enough
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwalker View Post
    already flushed line with water hose, shop vac elbow on bottom of pan, can't raise condenser to see elbow from the top side, water runs out of boat fine with water hose on, could it be the mesh material under the condenser doesn't let pan drain fast enough
    thanks
    I had same issue, cut a 3" hole in the deck below the elbow to get to it (from underneath) Resealed and reclamped it, but in a short time it was overflowing again. Put the shop vac on the hose where it connects to sea chest and the "dam broke". Seemed like a gallon or two rushed out. Clog was somewhere in the line between the elbow and the sea chest.

Next is the sea chest, I think it is starting to back up now...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Sounds like something is lodged in the drain. Could be in the elbow. Try the shop vac from both ends and see if anything breaks free. A clump of junk can free up allowing it to drain fine and then clog the line later on.
    Jack Sardina