Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transformer breaker

So I'm running 2 AC units (my big ones: slaon & pilot house) and turn on the cooktop to make some pasta (have to get food into this) and power goes off. As I have had my pedastel pop once before at this location I reset that. No joy. Open my panel, flip everything off, wait a few minutes and turn it ll back on. Still no joy and I'm starting to get nervous. Do it again and no anxiety begins to creep up. Power in light is on and volt meter shows 235. WTF??!! My imagination goes into hyperdrive and I'm thiniing who do I call at 7 PM to replace my transformer (even after 4 years full time cruising I'm a newb in so many aspects...). Finally I notice the 2 breakers marked "transformer 1" and "transformer 2".

Sorry for the long recitation of the event but I wrote it out so I will be forgiven for asking a potentially stupid question Should I be worried??? Is this an indication my breaker may be getting weak? I had assumed if I overdrew my 50 amps, the pedastel would trip first...

Re: Transformer breaker

Sounds like you may have had more than just the air and micro on. Battery charger, refrig, hot water etc. sometimes they all kick in at one time. However that being said I did have to replace my main breaker when I first bought the boat. Even though I had full power it would trip. Sam's carries them and it's an easy fix. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Good points about other powered items. Actually was the cook top and the super high quick water boil one at that. I'm sure that draws about 3K watts!

I'm not so sure these older brakers are very readily available. I had the case on a 30 amp in the panel break while installing our inverter and could not find a replacement.

Steve at Sams was able to track down a 30 and 40 for me. Give him a call. You will need to pop it out and send him a number of photos showing all sides. He needs that to make sure they will fit.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you have an induction cooktop they draw a lot of power
    Jack Sardina