Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Treated fuel question

Did detroit publish that before the requirements to change to ulsd in 2006?

I don't a lot of diesel through my engines. I track the mpg and maintenance on the trucks and have found a great increase in treated fuel. Somewhere in the 2 to 2.5 mpg increase. Clean exhaust. Better response and less times the engine triggers the filter burn. On the boats transom soot is significantly less.

The 92 series was the last of the engines in the 2 stroke series that was designed but the fuel at the time of their release is not the same as the fuel we have today.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    The lubricity issue is long gone in any refined diesel in this country.
    What do you mean by this statement? I've been told that the ultra low sulfur diesel had lowered
    lubricity. Is something added at the refinery to deal with this or have I been fed a myth?

Here is a link to a test done in 2007.

The guy who arranged it did a pretty good job of keeping it on track with what we can buy not what they say we should have.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-.../177728?page=1

It's worth the time to read through it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

This has been done a hundred times here and I'm not going to spend another twenty minutes retyping it.

Diesel fuel in the US (as opposed to heating oil) is additized to an ASTM standard that is marginally adequate. It is much lower than the European standard, but if you want to believe that it's a non issue here then don't use an additive. It's good for business.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    This has been done a hundred times here and I'm not going to spend another twenty minutes retyping it.

Diesel fuel in the US (as opposed to heating oil) is additized to an ASTM standard that is marginally adequate. It is much lower than the European standard, but if you want to believe that it's a non issue here then don't use an additive. It's good for business.
    I figured you'd tell them it's not needed. Marketing for you.

Remember all the fuel system failures in the last few years. They're not related to the fuel. Remember your government is taking care of you just listen to them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

If I was concerned about fuel lubricity/additives, I would probably look into this: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...es/LT15200.pdf
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I figured you'd tell them it's not needed. Marketing for you.
    Yeah, but I like the people here.

I can sell you additive or I can sell you injectors. The additive is cheaper. If you think this is self promotion then buy additive from someone else. But you need to use a quality additive.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    First algae will not grow in fuel.

Second I'd look to add at least cetane, lubricity and de emulsifiers.

I've not seen any fuel at the pumps treated enough to matter. It's basic marketing.
    I spoke to an expert in Diesel fuel and Detroit's. I asked him if algae will grow in Diesel fuel. I asked because a friend of mine has not changed his filters in God knows how long and the bowl on the Racor is so muddy green you can not see thru it even with a flash light. Here is his quote " algae can grow when ever there is water in the fuel it grows between the two layers. Today it is rare to see water in fuel in the U.S. due to the fuel tanks in ground or above must be double containment with leakage alarms"
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It doesn't take a lot of water to create the layer needed for algae to grow in. Another reason to have a demulsifier.
    Last edited by Finalee; 07-23-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

You are absolutely correct.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California