Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Treated fuel question

Sense JLR brought up a fuel treatment question I wanted to ask another fuel related question. I buy my diesel from a Bay Area City owner marina. The diesel is treated with additives. Should I add more or am I good just using the treated fuel.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Treated fuel question

Define treated.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

They say it has additives that algae will not grow in.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

First algae will not grow in fuel.

Second I'd look to add at least cetane, lubricity and de emulsifiers.

I've not seen any fuel at the pumps treated enough to matter. It's basic marketing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Scott. The reason I said algae is because a buddy of mine has racor's that are green in the bowl. He called it algae. He's changing them out next week BTW
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I met a gentleman several years ago who was on the design team for the 8V92's. He always adds Marvel Mystery oil to his fuel. I started doing the same using 1 gal. per 100 gal of fuel. Helps keep things like valve seals lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    They say it has additives that algae will not grow in.
    "They say"? "They" likely a petroleum engineer, and would never exaggerate to help a customer feel good.

Treat your fuel yourself, be sure!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I met a gentleman several years ago who was on the design team for the 8V92's. He always adds Marvel Mystery oil to his fuel. I started doing the same using 1 gal. per 100 gal of fuel. Helps keep things like valve seals lubricated.
    FWIW, MMO is a pretty strong detergent and will thoroughly clean deposits in the fuel tank...but they don't magically disappear...they end up in the fuel filters. I learned that lesson some years ago with a boat that I added MMO to the tank - afterwards, the filters would totally clog in 20 minutes. I went through 5-6 sets of filters before giving up - I had to polish all the fuel and clean/vacuum the tanks.

Obviously, that situation will depend on how clean everything is in the first place...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

That's why I read this forum everyday. Thanks
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Detroit themselves in their shop manuals recommends no additives for the 92 series, unless the boat is going to be store or a long period in a moist environment. I find the MMO comment highly suspect. I had a big jug of it, but I never added to my fuel and my engines lived happily ever after.
    The lubricity issue is long gone in any refined diesel in this country. BTW, the Detroit manual also specifies having as low a sulfur content as possible. They also only call out high sulfur as something that requires attention and a different oil change cycle.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014