Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

clearing clogged head discharge line

The discharge line that runs from the master head to the relief valve in the starboard engine room is clogged. I'm trying to figure out how to clear it. I've tried blowing air through it from both the pump end and from the relief valve end, but no luck. My next thought is to try to snake it, starting from the relief valve end, reasoning that it's where the line makes the abrupt turn up from the bilge to the valve, so that's where stuff would be most likely to sit. I'm wary of using chemicals in those rubber hoses. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? I'm wary of using chemicals in that rubber hose. If I were to put a hole in it, looking at the plumbing diagram indicates changing it out entails removing all the carpeting in the master stateroom and the companionway, then cutting access holes in the floor under the bed and in several places in the companionway to get access to the old hose. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: clearing clogged head discharge line

I have found that Nolex Digestor is safe for all hoses and tanks. Go to utube and look at their video. You just dump it in and let it work. Not sure if this will help you issue but it does clean up the hoses and tanks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Bill, sounds like my access is easier than yours. After having my GM pump rebuilt, I changed out the discharge from the pump all the way to the tank. I cut a four inch piece of dowell and inserted it into the new and old, screwed it in both sides and pulled the old hose and the new in one operation. Easy peasy... Did have to reach in behind the tub enclosure for the short section from the vented loop to the pump and to put in a new loop, but still wasn't a difficult job.

Peter,

I was assuming that the old hose is clamped along the way, because that's what I found when I tried to replace the hose from the forward head pump to the holding tank. It ran behind an enclosed bulkhead in the generator room and I couldn't move it. Maybe that's not the case for the aft head discharge hose. Is your holding tank under the forward end of the engine room bilge?
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

From what I saw, my new run is the second replacement. I think the other 2 heads also have been changed from original.

Don't know how familiar you are with our layout, but the holding tank is accessed through a hatch in the VIP midship cabin. The tank is forward of the forward fuel tank, i.e. bow to stern: holding, forward fuel and aft fuel all 3 centered along the keel line

The tanks on my boat are all in the center as well, so sounds like the layout is similar. I'm going to tackle this project next weekend when my son is in town.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Took 2 of us less than 2 hours to change out 43' (about 6-7' from the pump to the loop and the balance from the loop to the tank) including the vented loop.