Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Micron 66 - how many gallons....?

Does anyone know approximately how many gallons of Micron 66 I need to coat the bottom of a 58' Hatteras (15' 10" beam)? The specs say one gallon will cover 320 square feet, but I've never had to measure my hull for square footage of the surface that is underwater. I plan to do two coats and a third layer at the waterline. At $250/gallon, I don't want to buy too much, but then again, I want to have enough to get the job done. I figure someone here knows the answer. Thanks.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Micron 66 - how many gallons....?

I use almost 2 gallons per coat on my 58 YF.

I use 2 1/2 gal. That's unepoxy I'd guess you'll use 4 or 5 of the ablative type. It wears off so the more the better?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Hey make. Sure it's mixed good I had problems with stuff that was shook but never totally mixed
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Use a drill and squirrel cage at a low speed. Do not create bubbles.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have used Micron since 1983 . Used micron 33, 44, CSC, CSC EXTRA, AND 66. After the ongoing problems with 66 blistering and falling off after haul out. Last job the yard did was painted and then sanded and painted again four times. There were little blisters on the side when was launched. The rep said launch it and don't worry about it! I went to Sea Hawk ablative this time.

I have experienced this on other customers boats using 66 and same issue. Something has changed in the paint.
    Last edited by captddis; 06-23-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I have used Micron since 1983 . Used micron 33, 44, CSC, CSC EXTRA, AND 66. After the ongoing problems with 66 blistering and falling off after haul out. Last job the yard did was painted and then sanded and painted again four times. There were little blisters on the side when was launched. The rep said launch it and don't worry about it! I went to Sea Hawk ablative this time.

I have experienced this on other customers boats using 66 and same issue. Something has changed in the paint.
    Probably due. To some tree hugger. "Barnacles have the right to live too"

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

We have used Micron 66 here in the Ches Bay based on local recommendations. BUT, we had to haul the boat for an insurance survey a few weeks ago and although the paint looked good - 2 years old and no bottom growth - there were tons of tiny speckle-like "blisters" that I had never seen before on previous haulouts with the paint we used when the boat was on LI sound. I don't recall what brand that was but it was not Micron 66.

It had not occurred to me that the paint itself was blistering but after reading this thread and since I had never seen the "speckles" before, I'm now thinking it might have been the paint, not the hull.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

There was some issues with the paint when the plant moved and also the additive supplier for most of the other paints was shut down by the epa for a bit. Supposedly all is well again. We had a few boats with issues but not recently.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Buy extra paint after arranging with your seller to be able to return any unopened cans.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932