Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What light fixtures are you using when updating with new headliner?

Hey Ang. In a previous boat I had it also had the foam backed vinyl for headliner material. I upgraded the sound system and had to run some new wires. I couldn't figure out how the ceiling panels were attached, because there were no battens and the seams for the panels just butted together. I contacted the mfg and told me it was a "stretch and screw" method. The vinyl was glued, wrapped around, and perimeter stapled to the hard board substrate. Where it was to be screwed to dead wood glassed into the ceiling, they left a gap in the perimeter staples. Then they stretched the vinyl material down and out enough to put a screw directly through the hard board, then tucked the vinyl back up and over, covering the screw head. The vinyl takes its original shape back pretty quick. It's a neat install method.

That's a great idea ! I ve used Velcro when I redid the saloon a few months ago but it s not always tight enough.

I m going to try Velcro plus hidden screws for the expanded master feeling which I m about to do
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I replaced halogen headliner lights in my 50c with leds using these products:

LEDs: 12V 2.8" LED Recessed Ceiling Down Light RV Boat Indoor Cabin Kitchen Lamp WW From ebay seller "dollarled" About $6 each. They fit in the old cutouts without any mods or screws. Though they have plastic trim, they look great.

And used these led power supplies: Meanwell pcd25 1400 1.4A dimmer supply. $17 each from "onlinecomponents." Each supply is good for 25 watts. I have five lights each on two supplies at 3.5 watts per light.

And these dimmers(on order): Leviton sureslide 6633-p. I have non-approved Dimmers installed now and the lights blink at high and low brightness settings. Ordered the correct dimmers from Amazon. Onlinecomponents tells me they will not cause the LEDs to blink. Should have the new dimmers installed next weekend.