Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Satellite Dome painting

Has anyone on the forum ever painted their satellite fiberglass TV domes. When talking to the manufactur they say they can be painted but I must use a paint that has no metal in the paint. They say that would screw up the signal. If you have had yours painted what product was used. Your help would be appreciated.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Satellite Dome painting

I have had no ill effects using Awlgrip....
    1979 43C

White Rustolium canned spray paint. No issues
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Thanks guys, that gives me two alternatives. Can I ask how long you have had the domes painted and how long has the gloss lasted. I await your findings. Thanks
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

One more question to both of you. Do you have Direct TV?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Have used Imron, U-Tech, Awlgrip, no issues.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Thanks guys, that gives me two alternatives. Can I ask how long you have had the domes painted and how long has the gloss lasted. I await your findings. Thanks
    SEVEN - thanks for posting this, my KVH domes are looking somewhat "dull" so it is nice to see what others have done.

Also, on your other question, FWIW, I switched from DTV to Dish this spring and so far it is much better for us (esp HD) but i know there are a wide range of experiences that cut both ways.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have had my Intellian I2 for several years now and never an issue. Then, this spring, Dish Network changed the algorithms to track the satellites or something. Intellian put out a new firmware but nobody had any idea until you called them. It was not easy to install it but mine is back working perfectly again.

I know this has nothing to do with painting, but since you mentioned Dish Network, I thought I'd put it out there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Awlgrip will last 5-7 years in the tropical sun. Longer if you spend time in northern lattitudes. I am a loyal DirecTv user.
    1979 43C

I have direct tv. And the shine is still good after 5 years of South Florida sun.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney