Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diesel spill...can we really get rid of the odor?

We looked at a boat that had previously had a fuel hose failure which resulted in a diesel spill in the bilge. The problem has purportedly been repaired with all new fuel lines, though we're not fully convinced that the problem was completely resolved due to the presence of standing diesel in various places such as on top of fuel tanks (and I know, this standing diesel is probably a big contributing factor to the odor). Either the problem still remains or the new lines were installed and the clean up was just a very poor job. I understand there are companies out there who can come in with steam wands and clean all those places that cannot easily be reached.

Nevertheless, in the far aft area of the aft stateroom, the subflooring has been saturated with diesel. This was obvious when we lifted a cut out piece of the subflooring and saw the underside. It is not like this throughout the boat, just in the most aft section of that stateroom. However, there is an odor of diesel below the main deck - not horribly strong, but definitely there. While I do notice the odor and don't find it all that offensive, a non-boater would probably disagree.

Since it does not appear to be feasible to simply tear out the subfloor back there since some of the fiberglass attached to the hull (or perhaps some other component such as a tank) is woven into it in places, do you think I can apply a coating of epoxy to the subfloor in order to seal out (or in) the diesel odor? The diesel saturation does not penetrate through to the top of the subfloor and where there is heavy saturation, it's just a small area running across the back of that stateroom. You can't see where any diesel entered any living space. It came up from below. After epoxying the existing subfloor, I thought about perhaps applying another thin subflooring over it.

Do you think this would work to get rid of the diesel odor? Of course, I would first have the clean up done right and have the entire bilge steam cleaned.

Thanks for your input.

Ang

2. Re: Diesel spill...can we really get rid of the odor?

When we bought our Hatteras in 2000, the previous owner was unable, due to his big size and age, ever check the motors. (You have to lift out the panals in the saloon on our 43).
    So both engines were "blown". A conservative guess is that we had 3" of diesel in the bilge, not including the oil. IT WAS NOT A PRETTY SIGHT.
    I have spent DAYS cleaning, and it still is not "clean".
    Used wet/vac, no idea how many rolls of towels, rented a steam machine (commercial grade) 4 times (for a total of 8 days) and still have a small amount of slime in the engine room.
    Am again guessing, but am sure we have carried over 200 5 gal buckets of liquids to the used oil tank at our marina.
    We had a strong diesel smell thruout the boat untill we removed the carpeting last year. Now finally the wife is happy.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Diesel spill...can we really get rid of the odor?

Sounds like that diesel was floating on top of water to get that high. Did they mention why the bilge was perhaps flooded with water at the same time? If the underside of the floor has been saturated with diesel , I would worry about not getting that smell out..............................Pat

I have had good luck using a product called "Simple Green" It has a pleasant smell and seems to cut diesel quite well. I loaded it up in a plastic garden sprayer, the kind with a wand that you pump up. I began by soaking the offending areas, every few days for a month, and letting it sit. After numerous applications, I washed the bilge and removed into buckets the remainder. The result was a sweet smelling diesel free bilge.

The admiral has a very sensitive nose when it comes to diesel and holding tank issues. She did some enquiries amoungst other boaters and came up with "Purple Power" which I now use religously to clean any drips/spills and leaks in the engine room and bilges.

You an buy it at almost any auto parts store.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

I like Mean Green a whole lot better. $5. bucks a gallon at the Dollar store. But you need to watch what you use it on. It is a real strong cleaner. Removes spider droppings in a heart beat. It will also dissolve some paints. I also put it in a garden sprayer and wash the entire boat. I use it on all my fuel spills and directly in the bilge.

BILL

A professional bilge cleaning company can perform wonders. They bring a tank truck, solvent in one tank, another to remove used cleaner. Huge hoses. They will probably spend at least a whole day soaking and dissolving engine and diesel oil and other messy bilge contaminants. And they are responsible for disposal. Their type of cleaning is simply beyond the ability of amateurs because they substitute specialized equipment and solvents for elbow grease. There are crannies on any boat that you simply cannot reach, and which are impossible to get completely dry and clean, but which the pros can fix.

As to the saturated wood, remember that anything can be fixed on a Hatteras. Any wood can be hacked out and replaced. In time diesel will evaporate--smelling it in the meantime is the problem. See threads "That Hatteras Smell." When I'm on board I don't notice the smell at all, and my guests all politely tell me they don't either. But once I get home every article of clothing has to go through the wash to get rid of a unique blend of diesel, exhaust and mildew that clings pretty well. Fortunately there is a simple way to resolve this--keep an entire wardrobe of clothes on board and never bring them home.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

i had a close call on saturday... went to the fuel dock, docked stbd to and while i was down below switching valves to route vent to a flexible hose i use to prevent spilting, teh attendant had stuffed the nozle in the old, unused pump out fitting at the transom, stbd side. i didnt' see the nozle on and thought i had stopped him in time, before he started pumping. maybe i did but there is a vey slight diesel smell in the master SR. not sure if it's just a dribling from the nozle, i don't see any evidence of any quantity of diesel having made it down the disconnected pump out hose, the end is just lying in the bilge.

the smell is very faint, so it shouldn't be a problem to clean, i only started smelling it sunday night after i closed the portholes (cold night...)

I guess the guy coudln't read.. the fitting clearly says WASTE !!! although i understand he could have gotten confused since i leave that fitting open to vent the bilge...

going to open hatches tomorrow and try some simple green to wipe off any area that might have been splashed...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Well, I won't have any fuel spills to clean up at this point...we rejected the boat when renegotiation proved unfruitful after our personal inspection. She just isn't worth the seller's bottom dollar figure, and anyone who has a clue about the cost of refitting will discover that. At the end of the day, I would have had way, way more cash invested than the market will bear for a 1977 58YF. There are better alternatives out there for the money. I would have been up to the challenge of the project, but only at a price that made sense. Fortunately, we were smart enough to call off the surveys before expending any monies on those. (This is the same boat egaito posted the thread and photos titled "motor mounts").

We're in Miami now, continuing our search for the rest of this week.

Thanks everyone....I'm much more wise about these things thanks to all of you (and egaito!).

Ang

10. Re: Diesel spill...can we really get rid of the odor?

No problem - this happens a LOT.

Keep looking - you'll find the boat - and deal - you can live with.