Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would you buy a 1979 42c without a haul out?

I looked at a 1979 42c a couple of days ago and made an offer. We are not that far apart but now seller said that the deal would have to be completed before the boat is moved anywhere. This includes NO HAUL OUT before purchase.
    Honestly this is very unnerving to me and might be a deal killer unless someone here knows how to check things while in the water (I can dive/snorkel but is this enough?). I went through the boat pretty well and know what works and what doesn't. engines are rebuilt with 800 stbrd (8 yrs ago) and 600 port (2 yrs ago). genset 200 hours... Core rot fixed mostly proper, has some newer nav and autopilot... but still needs paint and interior is mostly 1979 with the window leaks in forward triangle window corner as normal... Some updating mechanical wise... But still no haul out for survey? I don't think they are hiding anything they are just not familiar with the process? Thoughts anyone, my offer time is limited to one week.... also feeling rushed so maybe walk on this one...

Mark

Re: Would you buy a 1979 42c without a haul out?

Its usually done with an offer acceptance that the deal is subject to survey and seatrial. If there is a broker involved he needs to get this information out to everyone. If not there may be a problem under there or I once had a broker not allow a haulout and seatrial because he know the boat would not sell and he could pick it up cheap.

FYI it was in the tampa bradenton area.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

No money should change hands until all surveys are done. You both can except the deal $$$ on paper but conditional upon a clean bottom survey.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

This is why brokers can be very helpful in buying a yacht.

Paying for a boat before all the diligence is done- including the haulout, the sea trial, the surveys, acceptance, etc- is a very poor idea IMHO. You are essentially giving up all your safety in the transaction if you allow that to happen.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 05-31-2016 at 11:04 AM.

I agree to all. I am walking from this one. I have never nor have ever heard of anyone buying a boat like this without a haul out, survey and sea trial all of which is denied on this one... was a decent deal for both of us until that came up... on to the next one... thank you everyone..

There has to be more to this story. Is the price extremely low perhaps to just get it off the sellers hands? Not enough information here to give a useful answer about walking away.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    There has to be more to this story. Is the price extremely low perhaps to just get it off the sellers hands? Not enough information here to give a useful answer about walking away.
    Yes and no. Unless the boat was a superstar and the price was near zero, I wouldn't pay for a boat without the right to inspect. The seller should be given a decent deposit (10%) and the seller should be the one to handle moving the boat to be hauled and then back, unless you close immeadiately after the inspection. We need more details as to the owners concerns and how the deal was structured. You may be able to make this work for both of you with a properly laid out contract. Also is the boat a 42C or a 43C? No such thing as a '79 42C. Which engines?
    Jack Sardina

What Jack said is gospel. If they want their money up front, I smell a rat somewhere.

Don't walk, RUN.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Will your insurer require a survey?