Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking at a 34 Sport Cruiser tomorow - anything I should look out for?

Hey guys, going to look at a 1962 34 Sport Cruiser tomorrow here in NY. I'm unfamiliar with this model but read through all of the sales literature posted here and it looks like a great all-around compact cruiser. This particular boat has been under the same owner and used as a fishing charter for the last 25 years. So it's well used but still looks like it's in good condition from the photos. Has twin 318 gas motors. From what I've read, the tanks tend to need replacing. Anything else I should be on the lookout for on these models? Asking price $25k
    Last edited by HRK123; 05-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Re: Looking at a 34 Sport Cruiser tomorow - anything I should look out for?

The tanks on the older boats (this is an older boat) are damaged by ethanol and leak. They do have to be replaced. Best option is FRP tanks made from resin resistant to ethanol. The 34' Hatteras boats are good little boats, but not worth much in today's market, similar to other vintage Hatteras yachts. Good surveys are strongly advised.

Thanks very much. Do you know what's actually involved in replacing the tanks if they haven't already been done? A little ironic that all of the original sales literature specifically says "lifetime fuel tanks - no rust, no rot, no leaks!". Is that a very involved job on these boats? Does the whole deck need to be cut out?

You will want to check the cores in the decks. These can be expensive repairs.

I would think you could rehab the tank if you can get to the top and cut it off. Clean the old one and use it as a form to build a new one in side. You'll need to add baffles and a new top, but that might be simpler than removing the old on completely.... or maybe not. Also look into a bladder.

Have the broker show you comps. 25K sounds high,

Bobk

Thanks, yeah I was thinking more like $15k depending on condition. I know the gas 34's are worth a fraction of the diesels. I know I'll never get back what I put into it, but if I can at least start with a solid boat that doesn't need a whole lot of repair, I can enjoy it while I work on it.

Changing the tanks out is a huge pain in the neck and cannot be done cheaply.

I think the tanks are under the after deck on the 34s, so you have to cut the deck out and lift it out to get at them. The question after that is what to install.

Aluminum tanks will ultimately corrode and leak. Plus you can't watch them under the deck.

Plastic tanks would be fine, but I seem to remember trying to figure out if big enough plastic tanks were available years ago, in response to another person posting here, and coming up emptyhanded. That doesn't mean they aren't available now.

Best choice would be new FRP tanks with modern resin that doesn't dissolve in alcohol. The best choice, but very expensive. Hard to justify on an old 34.

Frankly, you should keep looking and find a diesel boat. The FRP tanks that came in these boats are fine for diesel.

As to the claim that they would not leak- well, Hatteras tested them with the fuels available at the time. Hatteras tanks had an excellent record of good service until ethanol fuels came along.

Quote Originally Posted by HRK123 View Post
    Hey guys, going to look at a 1962 34 Sport Cruiser tomorrow here in NY. I'm unfamiliar with this model but read through all of the sales literature posted here and it looks like a great all-around compact cruiser. This particular boat has been under the same owner and used as a fishing charter for the last 25 years. So it's well used but still looks like it's in good condition from the photos. Has twin 318 gas motors. From what I've read, the tanks tend to need replacing. Anything else I should be on the lookout for on these models? Asking price $25k
    318's in the 34 makes it a dog. Barely will plane. Most had the 440 290-330 hp. It's a great boat for a diesel conversion.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If the motors are running well there is a chance the owner is using ethanol free gas. If that is the case then they are as good as new. Keep in mind the pre 66 34's had a little less overhead room in the engine compartment if planning to ever go Diesel. A little tighter to squeeze them in.

I picked my 34 over the trunk cabin earlier boats because it looks more modern. But after seeing some restored early 34's I am in awe of how good they look. The hull is great but throw water up on the bridge when windy.

As for price 25K for gas and underpowered as well this should be more like 10-15K at most. Unless it is in super nice restored condition it is what it is. If you really like it make an offer. Worst they can say is no. And then if still available 6 months later try again.

Quote Originally Posted by HRK123 View Post
    When taking our 40 double cabin to Lake Champlain, stayed in a marina a little further up the creek from where the boat sits. It was for sale last year. We did stop to look at it as our previous boat was a 1963 34SC. It was a good looking boat. Our 34 had aluminum fuel tanks made by Atlantic tank co in NJ.

Hi HRK123
    What should you look out for? EVERYTHING!

Tank Replacement including deck work is super expensive. Condition is everything. Let us know your first impression. With a leaky tank...$5,000 might be the top value. Hatteras tanks were indestructible before ethanol fuel.

Here's an easy rule of thumb. When you go and see the boat, does it look like a brand new boat at the boat show? If it doesn't and you don't have unlimited funds to restore it, go look at something else. You'll be cheaper off in the long run.