Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flagship marine chiller water AC ?

Does anyone have experience with Flagship marine Air Con systems? I m seriously considering upgrading the Air con system to chilled water. All of my air handlers and condensers are now 20 years old or more and I have two bad compressors. The others won't be far behind...

The simplicity and redundancy of chilled water is very attractive and they are now used on much smaller boats than before

Running new water hoses from the ER to each air handler isn't a big deal as the ER is right in the middle of the boat.

Flagship has 36k Btu chillers at $4k each, I d need two instead of 4 or 5 smaller traditional splits. Each air handler run around $1000/1200 depending on size. Because the gas only runs in the chillers it seems to be a lot easier to maintain
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Flagship marine chiller water AC ?

The insulation requirements of the chilled water lines are often overlooked or "minimized" by salesmen. Properly done, it's an extensive project that's not as easy a pasting on some Armaflex. Keep in mind, if there is any breach / hole / weakness in the insulation, the pipe will sweat profusely. Also consider the expansion coefficients when selecting materials: you'll be dealing with up to 80* F temperature deltas.

Sounds like the right way to go. Be sure to keep us posted .....

Walt

Check the price on the pumps and controls. I looked into it several years ago and I seem to remember coming to the conclusion it would be around $30,000 for parts only. It's a very efficient system though, if you plan to cool or heat the whole boat. You might find a 24K Compressor would cool the whole boat at night and both of them would run in the heat of the day.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

If I was starting from scratch I'd probably use keel coolers to replace the raw water. Less trouble in the long run.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I got a quote for a chiller system once before. Not only did we determine that it was cost prohibitive, running the chilled water lines to every room was just not feasible since the water lines, once insulated were about 2" diameter. No way we're we going to try to muscle that to four staterooms, galley, PH, salon, etc. It's hard enough to pull a friggin' wire in here. However, with your boat all torn apart with the dark, evil spaces now exposed, it might be more doable for you than for someone like me who was trying to change the system with gutting the boat. That is why I went the self-contained route. Plug and play.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Indeed in my case running the pipes is not a big issue since it will be done before the carpentry is finished..

I put in a self contained in the saloon a year and a half ago and it's jsut too loud. Maybe yours are a little quieter but still the compressor makes some noise.

Keel cooler have obvious benefits but I wonder where you'd mount it on a hatt. Not anywhere near the keels due to the tanks, so it woudl have to be under the flatter surface of the hull. Would have to look into this

I also thought costs woudl be very high but it's not so bad compared to splits. I m tird of patching up the old system, I have replaced one compressor and or one air handler every year so far. And that rack with 5 hard to reach condenser is a mess.... The copper piping is 45 years old.

Flagship build their units here in Florida using US made components. Looks like good quality....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Indeed in my case running the pipes is not a big issue since it will be done before the carpentry is finished..

I put in a self contained in the saloon a year and a half ago and it's jsut too loud. Maybe yours are a little quieter but still the compressor makes some noise.

Keel cooler have obvious benefits but I wonder where you'd mount it on a hatt. Not anywhere near the keels due to the tanks, so it woudl have to be under the flatter surface of the hull. Would have to look into this

I also thought costs woudl be very high but it's not so bad compared to splits. I m tird of patching up the old system, I have replaced one compressor and or one air handler every year so far. And that rack with 5 hard to reach condenser is a mess.... The copper piping is 45 years old.

Flagship build their units here in Florida using US made components. Looks like good quality....
    Google Fernstrum grid coolers. Used a lot on workboats.

You'd want a chiller with variable capacity. This may mean multiple compressors, or variable speed compressor, or unloaders etc.

Make sure the cold water lines are all run in places that if they do sweat, it won't damage anything.

Also, I would install everything so it could also be used to pump hot water if you ever want to do heat....just hook up to an engine or genset (add a webasto or aquahot is another option)
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The way it's done according to manufacturers and installers is you use two or three chillers, in this case probably two 36k connected in parallel. The system brings the second one on line as needed. Flagship recomends copper pipe with foam insulation. No big deal to set up

And yes, redoing the whole system means having the ability to set it up so its easy to service

They have a reverse cycle option as well as heating elements in the air handler. I don't use heat more than 3 nights a year, I may just add a heating element in the master

I think chilled water is the way to go when you have access to upgrade the plumbing and eventually will replace splits in original installation. I be seen new 50 footers using chillers whereas 8 years ago you d only see them over 65/70
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat