Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can't Get My Rudder Post Stuffing Box Apart!

On the 37C I have the two bolt rudder shaft stuffing boxes that look the one here, though a little cleaner. I have not had it apart in 20 years. Nuts come off the bolts but I can not separate the pieces. Not a lot of room. I hit it with penetrant. How hard can I wack it? How much pressure can I put on the flang ends? Can I use heat?
    Thanks in advance
    Hal
    Rudder SB.jpg
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

Re: Can't Get My Rudder Post Stuffing Box Apart!

Pour some vinager on it to help clean up some of the calcium build up. After it does its job take a drumme tool with a SS wire brush to continue cleaning it up. You can use heat and while hot wack at it with a hammer. Use a block of wood so not to ding it. If you can't fit the wood block in there then tap on it to help break it lose. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Are you in the water or on the hard? I would not use a torch , you can use a heat gun. As a last ditch effort , remove the studs by double nutting them and backing them out and hammer the ears to rotate the top piece. That should separate it. .....Pat

You are absolutely correct on the heat gun and not a torch. I should have mentioned that rather than say use heat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A puller, if space allows, would be my first choice. If space doesn't allow for a puller make one that will. If you can get the studs out, and I would use heat, you can then pass a piece of threaded rod through the adjustable flange then screw on a nut and screw the threaded rod intl the fixed flange and use the nuts to jack the adjustable flange out.

If you break a stud(s) your job will get more complicated, and with poor space/geography that will not be good.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Thank you great advice all. Hal
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

When we had ours repacked I had them install nuts under the flanges just in case I had to go there in the future.
    Regards
    Dan

Smart!
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

Don't know if it factory, but all my stuffing boxes had nuts above AND below the flange. I simply removed the top nuts, and used the bottom nuts to jack the flange up and off. Once you do get it apart, thread a nut on both sides before placing the collar to compress the new packing. It'll make it easier for somebody next time.

Put some Ospho in a spray bottle. Rinse with plenty of water. Then knock it loose with a 2lb drilling hammer. You can forget the heat. That hunk of brass would take forever to warm up.