Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antifreeze tast/smell

Hello does anybody know how to get
    Rid of RV antifreeze smell and tast
    I just put boat in water and flushed
    With fresh water and last year it
    Lasted weeks any ideas would be
    Greatly appreciated

Re: Antifreeze tast/smell

Keep flushing fresh water through it a few times. Then shock it with Clorox. I put about 1 cup in 300 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Keep flushing fresh water through it a few times. Then shock it with Clorox. I put about 1 cup in 300 gallons.
    Can you smell the Clorox at that level?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I used the Purple Stuff. It turned everything biodegrade able. I can even flush it over board but didn't. I vacumed everything out of the bildge and the smell was fresh.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

WM sells a shock treatment that I've had good luck with before, might have same at big box stores. Really knocks out the aftertaste but takes another few flushes to get foaming out.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...aner--14044424

I am going for some today for same reason. Maybe it's mental, but I think I can taste antifreeze.

Note - some treatments are for the water in the tank (prob not issue) but this is for the actual tank and system. Like the clorox someone mentioned.

Just my 2.5 cents, so take it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by major hattitude View Post
    Hello does anybody know how to get
    Rid of RV antifreeze smell and tast
    I just put boat in water and flushed
    With fresh water and last year it
    Lasted weeks any ideas would be
    Greatly appreciated
    That's the reason I quit using it. Since then I vacuum the water out or take it to Florida.

When you purge it, run it dry, then do several small purges running it dry each time. The water heater might have taste remaining, but the cold should be OK. Chlorox kills germs. I can't see it doing much for the taste other than being an extra purge.

Nuff said, or I might slip into my rant on Chlorox use.

Bobk

I have found that one tank of "new" water with about a cup of clorox added does the job well. It DOES smell a bit of clorox for that tank but successive refills (no clorox) are fine with no odor of anything or strange taste. You really need very little "pink" actually left in the system for winterization.

I pressurize the system with pink from a bucket/feed into the FW pump, run all the faucets and anything else that runs water (dishwasher, etc) and then disable the pump. I then open the lowest tap on the boat, which on our 53 is the hose outlet in the port ER and the highest tap on the boat - the aft deck bar, and allow the pink to then drain into a bucket. That way, come spring, there is very little pink in the system to be flushed. There is a bit in the water tank and a bit in the HW heater but not all that much.

The point of the pink is to ensure it gets into the entire system but as long as it displaces the water, it doesn't have to stay there. IOW, if you drain the water from a HW heater, then add a gallon (say) of pink to it and then drain the pink, the HW heater is protected without leaving a bunch of "extra" pink that has to be flushed in the spring.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I use pink in boats and RV's It works, very well, and knock on wood I've never had frost damage. I don't use tank water for drinking, tooth brushing or cooking, so I never have a problem with pink taste.

That said, I know someone who hates the pink and uses cheap Vodka to winterize.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have always had to run at least two tankfuls of fresh water through to get the taste of the pink stuff out of the water supply, so I began using as little of it as possible and blowing it through with an air compressor. So far, so good.

i hope it is not too cheeky, but now I understand the beauty of being in Pacific North West where we only worry about too much rain over the winter months....
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada