Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anchoring Cruise on LIS

I'm thinking this might be the year for an 'anchoring mostly' cruise of Long Island Sound. I'd be arriving via Hells Gate. I've done some searching on Active captain for a good 2-3 week trip, but can't seem to get my arms around a plan. I do not want to spend the $$$ for the area marinas or even too much of the $$ mooring balls. We do need to hit Bridgeport for a couple of days late July to get to a wedding. Can anyone recommend a route with mostly anchorages or reasonably priced clubs?

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY
    Baltimore Yacht Club
    Tarpon Bay Yacht Club

Re: Anchoring Cruise on LIS

Get yourself a copy of the Waterway Guide North. It will get you better organized and better context.
    Moorings are a frequent "tweener" alternative to anchoring, price wise. We tended to anchor and moor 90% of the time when cruising up there.
    It's a wonderful area and my only regret is we didn't spend more time and see more places. What do you have for a dinghy?
    A good example is one of our favorite places, beautiful Hamburg Cove off the Connecticut River, which we always made
    a point of spending a few days at. Moorings then were about 20 bucks compared to $4 a foot across the river in Essex.
    We took the Whaler over to Essex where there was a free place for dinghys. There were also pricier moorings off Essex, but fortunately none for our size boat when we were first there, or we might have missed out on Hamburg.
    And all kinds of pretty places to explore with the Whaler such as Selden Creek. I could go on and on about a dozen or so more spots,
    but have a look at the Guide and I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm sure some of the experienced locals will chime in at some point too.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I do all my boating on the eastern end of Long Island sound. I spend a lot of time anchored in front of notts island in Essex. Good holding and never had a problem with the current. Usually about 8 ft of water. Another great place is west neck harbor at shelter island . Very quite during the week. Again great holding. Nice to take the dink to shore and walk the beach. Excellent place to swim. Some times later in the summer the jelly fish can be a bit much for me. The water really gets warm by the end of August. There's also anchorage in sag harbor I personally have gone there but a lot of my friends do. One of my favorite places is little Narragansett bay in watch hill Rhode Island. It's about an hour and half east of the old saybrook. I usually spend two weeks every year there on the hook. The best for swimming. U can swim on the bay side or on the ocean side. Easy dink ride to town. A couple restaurants free town dock for dingies. Also you can take a dink ride up the pawcatuck river. There is a boat launch where you can dock the dingy any Walk to maquads supermarket and get fresh steamers and lobster and have a feast back at the boat. Hope this helps.

Thanks George, I'll hunt up a copy of the guide. We have a 12' AB rib CC with 25 hp 2 stroke and bimini so transportation is reasonable.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Get yourself a copy of the Waterway Guide North. It will get you better organized and better context.
    Moorings are a frequent "tweener" alternative to anchoring, price wise. We tended to anchor and moor 90% of the time when cruising up there.
    It's a wonderful area and my only regret is we didn't spend more time and see more places. What do you have for a dinghy?
    A good example is one of our favorite places, beautiful Hamburg Cove off the Connecticut River, which we always made
    a point of spending a few days at. Moorings then were about 20 bucks compared to $4 a foot across the river in Essex.
    We took the Whaler over to Essex where there was a free place for dinghys. There were also pricier moorings off Essex, but fortunately none for our size boat when we were first there, or we might have missed out on Hamburg.
    And all kinds of pretty places to explore with the Whaler such as Selden Creek. I could go on and on about a dozen or so more spots,
    but have a look at the Guide and I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm sure some of the experienced locals will chime in at some point too.

One of my favorite places is little Narragansett bay in watch hill Rhode Island
    I take it you mean the anchorage off Napatree Beach ? Yes indeed a great spot and one of the very nicest beaches. Spot on post. Easy dinghy ride into Watch Hill too and on up the river to Westerly. Watch Hill is fun
    Last edited by GJH; 04-09-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I'm thinking this might be the year for an 'anchoring mostly' cruise of Long Island Sound. I'd be arriving via Hells Gate. I've done some searching on Active captain for a good 2-3 week trip, but can't seem to get my arms around a plan. I do not want to spend the $$$ for the area marinas or even too much of the $$ mooring balls. We do need to hit Bridgeport for a couple of days late July to get to a wedding. Can anyone recommend a route with mostly anchorages or reasonably priced clubs?

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY
    Baltimore Yacht Club
    Tarpon Bay Yacht Club
    From west to east, Manhasset Bay, anchor just south of port Washington YC, there is a water taxi, supermarket near by, and a bunch of waterfront Resturants, and marine suplies and nice town.

Hempstead harbor, no real protect anchorages

Oyster Bay, several good anchorage areas, West Harbor, Oyster Bay Cove, and west of the Seawanhaka YC's mooring field. All great spots, nearby town,

Lloyd Harbor, pretty harbor, no shoreside benifit

Huntington Harbor, no anchorage

Northport Bay, east of Hobart Beach AKA Sand City, great spot, nice beach.

Northport Harbor, (my home port) just north of morning field east side, Village dock has dunk dock, great Town, Restaurants, some shoping, marine supplies. A car ride to supermarket.

Centerport, not much protection.

Stonybrook Harbor, tide challenges, not recommended.

Port Jefferson, great town, water taxi, beach, waterfront dining.

Mt Sinai Harbor, small harbor, no shore side benefit, Port Jeff is a better choice and a mile away.

Mattituck Creek, near town, limited anchorage dink dock

Greenport, not on the sound, but great town, Restaurants, shopping, supermarket, marine supply,

These are all on the NY side, all have or are near fuel, pump out and 6+feet of depth and offer good holding.

If you visit Northport get in touch, the Hatteras NE Rendezvous will likely be the last weekend in July or first weekend in August, likely be at Essex Island Marina, Essex CT. A fun time for all and a great spot

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

It's been a while since I ve been uo there, 4 or 5 years. If you have two or three weeks, I would expand the trio further east to at least to include newport and Bristol. I would also suggest Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth islands, up to woods hole. Hadley Harbor across woods hole is a very pretty anchorage. That area is worth the few extra miles.

One of my favorite spot in LI is th Thimbles of the CT coast. Very pretty. Watch the weather though in case wind turns to the south, it can be miserable...

Definitely Mystic and the surrounding area. Fishers has some peaceful anchorages. Stonington is a cute little town too. Mystic seaport is worth a full day visiting. Worth docking although there are some nearby anchorages

Avoid fuel on the CT side, very expensive from what I remember. Point Judith marina right before newport had some of the cheapest fuel back then.

Typing this anchored off harbor island Eleuthera... It feels like such a different world!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks JM and Pascal. Your replies are a big help. I plan to fuel in the Highlands and that will take care of the round trip back to NJ I think.

We have been to Mystic for a previous HOF rendezvous so might skip it this time, but I will keep Essex in mind because we are going to spend a couple of nights at Bridgeport 7/30,31 for a wedding.

Any other ideas or suggestions out there?

Bobk

The Highlands, NJ, Old Saybrook CT between the bridges east side and Galilee, RI right next to the CG station south side would be the premium spots for diesel.

Galilee is 11 miles to Block and a little more to Newport, both great spots with dunk docks and water taxi.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Northport, port jeff and Greenport for sure. Even when I'm on land I usually visit them when in the area. Especially port jeff..

Since the sound is a zero discharge zone how long will you be able to go between pump outs? Did you figure that in yet? Since I'm a lectra San man I stopped worrying about that down here.

Also if you do get to join the Yankee fest as its referred to sometime. Do so. What a great time. I'd do it again if I was in the area.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.