Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 56-58MY Query

56-58MY Query

Besides more limited slip options due to the wider beam, what are the drawbacks to this model vs. The 53. Same sanitation, same power +/-, same systems. The purpose is slow cruising, but with the option of running if needed. Been shopping for a couple of years and am getting close to making the plunge.
    Thx, mark

Re: 56-58MY Query

The main drawbacks woukd be a more stable and comfortable boat. There's a reason they replaced the 53. Yes it was very popular and many were sold but they needed to move forward with newer interior designs and better sea keeping.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I believe the series 1 58 MY is a 15'10" hull, series 2 58MY 18'2". While the 18'2" bean may handle better, the space it offers is the big benefit.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The main drawbacks woukd be a more stable and comfortable boat. There's a reason they replaced the 53. Yes it was very popular and many were sold but they needed to move forward with newer interior designs and better sea keeping.
    The 53 was never really replaced, just discontinued.

Perfect reply Tom.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Does the 56-58 have any warts, err.... quirks

I have the 58' Yachtfish and love it. My wife was intimidated with handling the lines on the 53' on the stern. She loves the cockpit and I enjoy it also.

I have a good friend who has a Galley up 58' with 4 cabins /3 heads. He loves his.

I don't think it costs any more fuel. I believe it's better in rough seas. I have had mine in the ocean in weather I wish I wasn't in. I was happy I had 5 more feet.

If you have a choice, I would do the 58' again.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

A few years ago we had a Hatteras rendezvous at Grand Haven. There was quite a surge coming down the channel. As we all sat on the picnic tables having a wonderful pot luck meal, we started noticing the boats in front of us. Amazingly, all of the 15'10" beam boats were rolling less in their slips than the 18'2" boats were. We all commented on how we would have thought that the larger, heavier boats would roll less, but apparently the wider beam was more of a factor than the overall weight.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Red face Re: 56-58MY Query

I am a large person: 6'4" 250 lbs. So, doing gymnastics in small spaces is difficult for me. The 53' seemed a little lower in height in the passage way as well as tad bit narrower. I guess to be expected. These classic hats seem to be so much more boat than the curvey production models put out today. I especially like the after deck. Great place for a cigar sipping a dbl black.

So I guess from the lack of anything to the contrary, either you guys have all drank the cool-aid or u really like your boats. Other forums about other boats, seem to be a compliant venue rather than a place to share the joy.

Glad I found u guys.

Ps: Pascoe is the biggest cheerleader regards hats, is he still alive? I know he was retired.

There is very little I would change on the 56-58. A larger swim platform or cockpit would be a bonus but not a nessecity.
    Attached Images
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht