Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 61 Hatteras CPMY 1984

To be honest, at least part of the pique on the part of this commenter (I can't speak for others) is ths annoyance factor at the boat being advertised as if it's something special. Whoever wrote the listing either doesn't understand what's been done to the boat or more likely is ignoring it and trying to present it as something that is unusual in a good way- instead of unusual in a way that is possibly negative and perhaps unsafe. The owner of the boat isn't responsible for that kind of hyperbole, but the person who wrote it is.

Years ago, there was a 57 Connie which was an inspected boat used for charters in the Annapolis area. That boat had DDs taken out, and C-series Cummins put in. It then failed its CG inspection, after the repower, and only passed it when it was reballasted with a few thousand pounds of lead installed as low in the hull as they could get it. I suspect the fuel economy that they had hoped to gain by installing more efficient engines was given away by having to bring the boat to a weight where it would pass a stability assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Dipping the gunnel on a boat like this? That must have been really bad. And I'm assuming that boat still had the 12v71's or 92's to add some weight. Never thought about that happening.
    The 60MY had 8v92's
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Very informative thread and information.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Quote Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
    I was glad to see this response. There are consequences associated with the removal of that much weight and it matters where the weight loss comes from. Having stipulated that, we are talking about 61 foot boat with an 18 foot beam. Drastically different from a 53 classic or smaller. I wouldn't presume the boat would become unstable or uncomfortable as a result of these changes without doing the math (which I am not qualified to do).

I, too, would have opted for the higher horsepower Cummins if the price wasn't much more. It wouldn't kill the value of the boat to me but it certainly matters to a significant number of potential buyers and that would have affected my decision.

In the real world there is a VERY limited market for boat that size and age and this one seems to be priced at the upper end of the market . As JM said, we shall see.
    I would agree, the weight removed is from the worst place it could come from, at and below the water line. As much as I hate to use lead to
    solve weight problems it's a possible solution.

JM
    Last edited by Glory; 03-27-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Remember the last boat launched by northern marine.

If the boat were designed for the smaller engines and their lower weight it would not have as much weight up high. Repowered convertibles getting lighter engines perform very differently although they have a lower center of gravity
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Remember the last boat launched by northern marine.

If the boat were designed for the smaller engines and their lower weight it would not have as much weight up high. Repowered convertibles getting lighter engines perform very differently although they have a lower center of gravity
    Unless you have one of those rolly polly 60EB. 😀
    Couldn't resist
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Unless you have one of those rolly polly 60EB. 
    Couldn't resist
    Even the most gorgeous 65eb's are a bit more rolly than the open bridge version but that space up there is one of the most relaxing areas running or not.

Could you imagine a 65eb repowered with the cummins 6.7 at 900 lbs each. 650 hp but how much lighter than the 12v92's?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I know someone who was considering repowering his 65 with C18 Cats. Similar HP as my 12V92s but much lighter. Not sure how it would be but the boat is very stable even when she's 1500 gals light on fuel. Do not how it would be when low on fuel and about 4 tons less in the ER. A pair of 1950HP C32 Acerts would be a nice package in my boat. Now if someone would just send me $1mil for my birthday I might be able to find out how nice it would be.
    Jack Sardina

$$$ on the way to you. Watch for a call from an overseas lady who just wants you to mind the 4 million for a couple of days. You can trust her. I did.

I'll take the 6.7's

At $100k I have a better chance. I'll wait a half hour and see what happens.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.