Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

61 Hatteras CPMY 1984

Full disclosure, I've never seen this boat in person< But a company I do work for has it listed. That's not why I'm posting it. I'm posting it because from the pictures it looks like a nice clean, Re Powered with Cummins CPMY. I know a few people on here have been looking for such a boat and I thought this may be a good possibility for them to consider. Again, I don't personally know the boat, just looked like a good listing when I stumbled across it. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984...s#.VvV2btIrK9I

Tony

Re: 61 Hatteras CPMY 1984

Too bad they went with a low hp repower. If you can live with that, then it might be worth a look.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Too bad they went with a low hp repower. If you can live with that, then it might be worth a look.
    My thoughts exactly. It was not designed to be a trawler and taking out 5 or 6,000 lbs may not help the ride. I hope the stabilizers don't fail.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It was not designed to be a trawler and taking out 5 or 6,000 lbs may not help the ride. I hope the stabilizers don't fail.
    I know a guy with a 60MY. His Wilcox stabs failed out in Lake Michigan. One went hard over causing the boat to list horribly in 7 footers. He couldn't go over about 7kts for fear of dipping the gunnel below the waves which happened a couple of times. I know that's extreme and not a fault of weight or balance, but it shows what a boat like this will do if things are not right.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The Motors look tiny compared to the originals. If I was to repower this boat I would've went with the QSM 11's Personally. Wouldn't have beem much more money, all the labor was there already. Don't know the back story though, maybe he had his reasoning.

Tony

Dipping the gunnel on a boat like this? That must have been really bad. And I'm assuming that boat still had the 12v71's or 92's to add some weight. Never thought about that happening.

Huge mistake on the repower. She must be very top heavy without the 12V71's in there. They must have taken about 4 tons out of her. QSM11s would have been a much wiser choice. I'd guess that with the 650HP 12V71's that boat would plane and cruise around 16-17kts. QSM11's would probably get her to around 20kt cruise. A pair of 1050HP C18s would have been sweet!
    Jack Sardina

"The only 61 Hatt repowered with Cummins on the market. Buy it quick before someone else nabs her."

Hilarious. Who would want to be on this anywhere other than dockside? Talk about tender.

With M11s this might be a decent boat, although you would still worry about the weight. With C-series? I wonder if Cummins even signed off on the repower?

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Huge mistake on the repower. She must be very top heavy without the 12V71's in there. They must have taken about 4 tons out of her. QSM11s would have been a much wiser choice. I'd guess that with the 650HP 12V71's that boat would plane and cruise around 16-17kts. QSM11's would probably get her to around 20kt cruise. A pair of 1050HP C18s would have been sweet!
    Not to mention that you would not have to reballast the entire boat....

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    "The only 61 Hatt repowered with Cummins on the market. Buy it quick before someone else nabs her."

Hilarious.
    No, the BS that gets written on these listings is not hilarious. It is less than disingenuous, if not misleading.
    I find most of what I read on the YW pages more than a little bit annoying, if not outright BS and it makes
    me not want to do business with whomever wrote it......

"Nicest one on the market"
    "Better than new"
    "Great Liveaboard"
    "Ready for the Great Loop"
    "Needs Nothing"
    "Won't last at this price"
    "Bristol Condition"
    "Great for Entertaining"
    "Open checkbook maintenance"
    "The kind of luxurious accommodations expected by serious cruising yachtsman"

And on, and on.

And that's just the hyperbole. I'm not even talking about the endless factual incorrectness.

Is this business nothing more than the "We tote the note" used car lot on the corner?

Sorry, rant over.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-25-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay