Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bahamas Cruising Guide

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best all around Cruising Guide book for the Bahamas. Mine seems to have grown legs, and since I'm now looking to buy a new one I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. The last one I had was I "Believe", The Dozier’s Waterway Guide from the best of my memory. It had names of marinas, phone numbers, things to do etc. But most importantly it had recommended routes with Waypoints and Arial photos of marinas, cuts, anchorages, and approaches through the Islands shallows, and banks, with recommended drawn in routes. I obviously have my charts but I like having the cruising guide books as well. I can't believe I lost my last one, I had all kind of hand written notes and everything in it. Hopefully it turns up but either way an updated book would probably be good.

Thank You.

Tony

Re: Bahamas Cruising Guide

The waterway guide misses a lot of things, mostly because they attempt to cover all the bahamas in one guide.

The gold standard is explorer chart books not only for the charts but also for the cruising info they provide. Very accurate and detailed. This is really all you need plus of course access to Active Captain data. For this my presence is garmin blue chart on iPad. Very accurate charts too. (We spend two to three months a year in the Exumas )

Posted from Staniel cay
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you are looking for guide books, we used 2 last year and were very happy with them:
    The Cruising Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge
    The Exuma Guide by Stephen Pavlidis

We also have the Great Book of Anchorages The Bahamas- The Route Most Traveled. This is available from http:/www.tgboa.com

For charts, Pascal covered it. We found our Garmin charts to be very good as well. We used a pilot for the Devil's Backbone (cheap insurance for about $50.00) and the Garmin was right on the route we were led on.

I very much prefer the Explorer chartbooks for the Bahamas.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com