Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Montauk, Shelter Island, Greeport, Sag Harbor Advice

For the last several years, I would take my 74 and stay at Monatuk Yacht Club for about one month in August. With what I suspect may be a change in management, I am having a really hard time coming up with a monthly dockage plan. While I have been to most of the areas mentioned in the title, I was curious whether anyone has had particularly good experiences with a marina in any of those areas. For logistical reasons, I need to remain on Long Island. Thanks and more to come on Montauk Yacht Club in the near future. Thanks.

Re: Montauk, Shelter Island, Greeport, Sag Harbor Advice

For Montauk I got a email saying they have a new dockmaster is that part of the problem beside them thinking their shit don't stink. I use to go on Memorial day weekend and they had reduced rate and I didn't have to pay the 40' minimum.
    Then a year ago they said its a 40' minimum I said the web site says its doesn't start to June the kid said I will discuss this with the dock master I said Thanks when I got there they charge me and also went in and change the web site Last time I went there!
    The place is 20% full on that weekend so why get greedy they just keep losing customers they want they place filled with 200' yachts I say good luck. I will go to Star Island next time.

For Greenport Stirling is my favorite and most for the money just stay away from E dock

Sag you are limited not to many choice's Not sure if you can get under the bridge?

Shelter two choice's and for your size I don't think Island boat yard can accommodate you but you could check quite spot as is Coceicles harbor.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 03-23-2016 at 07:20 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

As for MYC, I do not want to go into the details here but suffice it to say that I have trying to make a slip reservation for a month since November of last year. I have been going there for the better part of twenty years. Heck, I was even a dock boy there 45 years ago when Deep Sea was a stand alone operation. But, I digress. I have nothing certain other than they have done away with a monthly rate. They are considering charging a transient rate for each of the thirty nights I had intended to be there and even upping that transient rate for each night Thursday through Saturday. That would result in a year over year increase for that month's stay of almost 70%. I do not mind paying some increase but 70% more for the same old thing is absurd. What's even more frustrating is that the "new" sheriff in town has not yet found the time to return telephone calls or otherwise speak directly with me. When the final chapter is written on this topic, I will post further details.

Come on out to Brewer's Stirling Harbor!
    There are a limited number of slips for you however it depends on who leaves at the time because there are no dedicated transient slips.
    PM me a note when you would like to come and I will talk to the dock office staff.

E Dock can entertain you for sure!..... but the slips for a 74ft are not on our dock.

With a little help from the C suite, I was able to work out a deal at MYC. It's still a whopping 35% increase year over year but better than not being able to book the slip at all.

This is what happens when the economy comes back and these places feel like they don't need the "little guys". I've seen it over the years and there are many places that will actually do mailings when they are hurting to drum up business. Clearly that new sheriff wants to cater to the 100 plus foot crowd. May he get what he deserves someday...........and I love the part about him not returning your calls! How long do you think he will survive in a customer service business acting like that?? Makes you want to call the owners and give them an idea of what their employee is behaving like.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    This is what happens when the economy comes back and these places feel like they don't need the "little guys". I've seen it over the years and there are many places that will actually do mailings when they are hurting to drum up business. Clearly that new sheriff wants to cater to the 100 plus foot crowd. May he get what he deserves someday...........and I love the part about him not returning your calls! How long do you think he will survive in a customer service business acting like that?? Makes you want to call the owners and give them an idea of what their employee is behaving like.
    Problem is its a IGY destination marina so big that you can't talk to a owner

Big Corporation!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Yes, you're probable right, but in the past if Ive had an exceptionally bad experience with anything and if it ticks me off enough I have written a well worded letter to the company's board. It will always get read if you send it to the right place, and many times you will receive a reply if it reads logically and you are not asking for anything. At a minimum it has always made me feel better!