Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ever switched a Cruisair condenser for Ocean Breeze equivalent ?

My Cruisair is probably 1993 vintage R22 refrigerant, 220 volts, 12K BTU using SMX I digital control. So I ordered the Ocean Breeze equivalent (also good for R22), picked it up in Stuart on the way to the Palm Beach show on Friday. Get it on the boat and after cutting off the stretch wrap and opening it's electrical box, discover there is no way this thing will work with my SMX control.

The Cruisair condenser for example has a separate electronics board in there with 11 wires just for the SMX, plus 4 more for high and low pressure sensors. All the Ocean Breeze has is a connection for the compressor, the reversing valve and a ground ! There is a multi function relay, with T1 thru T6 terminals...maybe the "water pump on" works off one of those ? As to the thermostat, maybe they were thinking just a regular home type ?

In the dark as I got no instructions with it ! Called 'em up and they are sending the manual snail mail, but in the meantime anyone know the scoop on the Ocean Breeze units ?
    Last edited by Milacron; 03-21-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Re: Ever switched a Cruisair condenser for Ocean Breeze equivalent ?

Interesting, I just ordered a 16,000 btu 120 volt unit from them to replace one of my cruiseaire units. i have the old style rotary controls though. I hope it wont be a problem

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Ditch the SMX and put in a Coastal Climate Control FX1. It will control it. It's cheap and fully programmable.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It's possible to install the smxii control board onto the units. It's just a bit of wiring it up correctly. The same way you would add smxii to the old 3 knob systems.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    Interesting, I just ordered a 16,000 btu 120 volt unit from them to replace one of my cruiseaire units. i have the old style rotary controls though. I hope it wont be a problem
    Wow, that seems like a lot of BTU for only 120 volts...but if the old one worked off that I guess it's ok. Re the old style rotary control...I'm getting the impression that's what these OB units are really meant for. Just wish they had been more honest with me about it as I stressed the "SMX I compatible" aspect a number of times before I ordered it and was told every time "no problem"...

boatsb, are you sure ? Reason I ask is two of my larger Cruisair units were replaced by previous owner before I bought the boat and use SMXII controls. I looked in the newer Cruisair condenser electrical boxes and they also have electronic boards in there. Is the situation that you bypass some features of the SMX II board ? (no more auto shutoff if low refrigerant pressure, etc)
    Last edited by Milacron; 03-22-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Ditch the SMX and put in a Coastal Climate Control FX1. It will control it. It's cheap and fully programmable.
    Is it just one thermostat you mount on the bulkhead like a home thermostat or more elaborate than that ?

Since my first posts this morning I have been on the boat and removed both an SMX I and SMX II panel and now see that sure enough an SMX II panel might be configured to work with the OB unit as it only has 4 wires going to it compared to the 11 wires going to an SMX I panel !

So with a little creative wiring I see now how an SMX II panel might be used sure enough. But without an electronic boad in the OB, nor sensors for low pressure, high pressure, or compressor overheat I see now how the Cruisair units are probably better really as far as monitoring system functions anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Is it just one thermostat you mount on the bulkhead like a home thermostat or more elaborate than that ?
    It is one control board in a box. You mount that near the compressor and run a single cord to the touch panel. The board has a terminal strip when you connect everything you have there: compressor, seawater pump, low and high pressure switches, fan wires, outside temp sensor, whatever. Easy to wire and program.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    It is one control board in a box. You mount that near the compressor and run a single cord to the touch panel. The board has a terminal strip when you connect everything you have there: compressor, seawater pump, low and high pressure switches, fan wires, outside temp sensor, whatever. Easy to wire and program.
    OK, thanks. I talked with the electrical tech at Ocean Breeze this morning and he still thinks there is a way to interface this with my SMX I digital control, but looking at the wiring diagram he emailed I am completly mystified how that can happen.

I've since emailed him the actual Cruisair schematics and waiting to hear back what he thinks. I wouldn't mind too much buying another thermostat if I have to, but sure would like to avoid running a new wire to it.

No experience using a Ocean Breeze handeler with a Cruisair compressor, but I just came here to say I have 7 Ocean Breeze units on my boat and installed 3 on my Son's boat. I'm a fan of their products and support is great. I love the fact that they only use standard non proprietary electronics instead of $800 PCBs that require replacing the whole thing when something goes bad. Also, I'm a fan of the all stainless construction instead of powder coated soon-to-be rust bucket. If you have a problem just call Alex or Joe and they will patiently walk you through it!