Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Hudson and East Rivers

We are booked into Liberty Landing Marina for the week of July 4th. I have most of the tourist stuff already planned for our company...easy ferry across to Manhattan, Big Red Bus around the city, Statue of Liberty tickets, etc..

We will enjoy the 4th from the comfort (and safety!) of our boat in the marina...too many weekend warriors on the waterways over holidays.

During their stay, Id like to take a cruise up the Hudson, and East Rivers for our guests. Any advice on how far we should go? Sites to see? Cautions to be aware of? Input on Hell Gate?

We are on a 63 ft Viking MY.

Re: The Hudson and East Rivers

Do a search on here for "YankeeFest". It has pictures and everything.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Actually, I was being semi-serious with that suggestion, but having just done it myself, I am reminded the search function on here leaves a lot to be desired. I can't remember the title of the thread, but I did post a lot of pics en route to an HOF gathering with WalterP who was a great tour guide. Very interesting trip to say the least.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

First, let's get Hell Gate out of the way. On your boat, it is a non-issue. Things to watch out for--debris, debris, debris. Both the East River and the Hudson river can be chocked full of floating debris---anything from logs, to fences to telephone poles. Keep a sharp eye out. If you have the time, you can head up to West Point. It's a nice ride and worth looking at from the water. The East River sort of speaks for itself. Beautiful views of Manhattan. Be mindful of a swift current. Depending on your vertical clearance, you may be able to go around Manhattan using the Harlem River.

I spent 20 + years boating on the Hudson River out of Haverstraw and Stony Point. I would not go around NY City. You can see enough of the city buildings from the Hudson side. The better time spent would be going North on the Hudson river. Impressive to see the George Washington bridge with the Palisades on the western side. Then would come Croton Park with a great beach for swimming. At this point the river starts to get mountainous. Going further to Stony Point with the Stony Point battlefield from the Revolutionary war. Next up on the East side would be Indian Point ( I believe one of the oldest nuclear power plants). Next in your trip would be the Bear Mountain bridge. Once under it you can start to see West Point. It is quite beautiful from the water. As you round the northern Point of West Point, it is called "Worlds End", Named by Henry Hudson and his crew. On the Eastern shore is Cold Springs, the place where the movie Hello Dolly was filmed. In the distance from there before Newburgh Bay is the remains of Bannermans Castle. Well worth seeing and reading about before the trip. Keep in mind there is more debris in the water in the spring time and after very heavy rains.

Circling Manhattan, the East river offers some great views, the Harlem River, except for the Columbia area, has little appeal. Clearance 21' is tight in high tide.

Floating debris is a fact of life.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I appreciate your insights.

If you don't go sll the way around Manhattan, at least go up the east River as far as the United Nations bldg. That way you go under the beautiful stone Brooklyn Bridge, see the Chrysler bldg views, etc. Then go back down around Battery Park and up the Hudson. We really enjoyed staying at the little Catskill, NY marina where you can rent a car and go see the FDR mansion and presidential library, the Vanderbilt Mansion, etc. Our trip in a 53MY where we stayed at that marina and went all the way up the Hudson is here.
    Go to the bottom of the page and click "newer post" to read beginning June 9th when we started going up the Hudson.

It's been a few years since I Ve been up there but the east river is a nice cruise all the way past la guardia. Hells gate is a non issue in a power boat. Didn't do the Harlem River so no input there.

NY harbor around the tip of Manhattan, the statue is a fun cruise, you just have to watch for traffic, and wakes. I once anchored overnight just north of the statue, great views but a little rolly. The Hudson is nice too, great views, especially a round the intrepid. Spectacular at night but you can t see debris in the water
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal pretty much nailed the things to see in the NYC area.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY