Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Key West Day Trip

The Admiral and I will be at Ocean Reef in a few weeks staying aboard our boat. I plan on taking a car ride to Key West for the day since neither of us has been there. I know it is fairly touristy but are there any things not to miss in a short day trip. Also, any restaurants that serve a nice lunch would be appreciated.

Re: Key West Day Trip

The Conch Republic Seafood Company is a place we always visit and probably my favorite. Good mix of regular food and seafood so everyone is happy. It's "reasonably" priced considering where you are and it's nestled right in the corner of Key West Bight along Elizabeth Street. Sliding Glass doors opened up on all side with a view of the Marinas. Really nice place.

Also you have A&B Lobster House which most people know just around the corner if you walk the docks.

Or if you walk the docks in the opposite direction, We also stop at Schooner Warf Bar right around the corner also in the Bight with a view of the marinas. It's a little bit rougher crowd, all the seating is outside under umbrellas except for the actual bar and a guy named Mike McLoud plays music there most days. Again it's a bit rougher "Joint" but since it's on the water and we always walk past it we usually stop. Now that I think of it I didn't see Mike McCloud the last time we were there, maybe he was on vacation. Be sure to go by Mallory Square for the Sunset and see the street performers, usually they start about an hour prior.

The Maritime Museum is pretty cool as well and you can always take the tram tour or rent a scooter or gulf cart to tour the island.

As far as Bars you have the usual tourist bars, Sloppy Joes, Irish Kevins and Capt Tony's. Or if you want the "Clothing Optional Bar" visit The Garden of Eden. Not my type of place but to each their own. LOL.

On the drive down or back a nice place to stop is "Islamorada Fish Company", at Bass Pro Shops. It's on the southern End of Islamorada. Nice place with a restaurant and little marina out back. They have a Life size Replica of Hemingway's boat "Pilar" inside to tour. And if you and the family are into hand feeding giant Tarpon stop at Robbie's Marina which I believe is just south of Islamorada. Either way it's a nice drive with with a great views and a lot to look at along the way so enjoy it. I wish I could be there.

Tony

We've been 3 or 4 times in the last year (and took our honeymoon there a few decades ago).

Some favorite places are Turtle Kraals (great food, islandy atmosphere and phenomenal Ceviche if you like that). You can eat in or outside as well as up on a top deck with a great view of the whole Key West Bight area. http://www.turtlekraals.com/

Favorite dinner spot (by far) is Blue Heaven, a little off the beaten path but walkable, or take one of the rickshaw type bike cabs. awesome atmosphere too. Fresh seafood specials (especially snapper) are out of this world. http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

Hogs Breath Saloon another watering hole to mention.

Unless you really like fruits, nuts and flakes, there is really not much to enjoy on Duval Street or Mallory Square but most people do like to check the box for the sake of touristry...

Enjoy, we hope to be back in May.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

+1 on blue heaven, was down there this past weekend

All time fav restaurant is Louie's Backyard. Not sure they're open for lunch.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

6. Re: Key West Day Trip

I'm not a big fan of KW, but everybody ought to go once. I'm not sure that a "day trip" is the best way to get the true experience, you need to stay long enough to see the sunset circus, and drink at every bar along Duval, and down and back ina day just isn't enough time.

Good suggestions above; but my advice is first, check the cruise ship schedule and try to go on a day no ship is in port. Second, go early - parking is a real problem. Try the city garage on Caroline Street, just across from West Marine. It's cheap and convenient to all the Old City venues.

Have fun, and drive safely. As the bumper sticker says, "Slow down, you're not on the mainland."
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    All time fav restaurant is Louie's Backyard. Not sure they're open for lunch.
    They were a few years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. Great world class food and a lovely ocean view. Much easier to get a table at lunch than at dinner but still call ahead as soon as you know when you'll be there.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I was 10 yrs old the first time at Mallory Sqaure. Watched a dude juggling 5 or six bowling pins. When he took a break he sat down with his pet, a big lizard. He fired up a doobie and sat there and gave shotgun hits to his reptile buddy. Was the craziest thing I had seen at the time. Was a trip when everyone got quite right as the sun hit the horizon. Then crowd all clapped when sun set all the way.
    Zak K.
    Black Hat Affair

If you get hungry about half way there, check out the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key. Interesting place with good fish sandwiches and pizza among other things. You might see some key deer while you are there.

Bobk

What about Hemingway's house, Truman white house, Wreckers museum, The museum down by the beach. Theirs some cool stuff not just the tourist trap bars, although I've been in all of them. Theirs the female impostor bars as well. No name bar is in my opinion lost it's appeal many owners ago. The cemetery is even kinda fun. Parking was never a problem as we usually got there early afternoon before the place went crazy with tourists. When the cruise ships are in it can be busy on the streets. I really enjoy Key West but it's mostly tee shirts and bars unless you really look. Just my opinion Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.