Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: NEEDED: derelict/salvage 58' YF or 53' MY for parts

How does having little kids equate to doing the work right?

Are they engineering protégés?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    With photoshop, this is about what the roofline would look like extended.
    Thank you Eric! Yes, this is exactly what I imagined it would look like. As you can see, it doesn't loose the classic profile of the YF much.

As far as structure goes, again, it will be structurally sound and very well built.

As far as canvas goes, well that's what I have now. I can't stand the way it looks ..
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The structure needs to start at the hull. Down at the bottom. The lower stateroom bulkheads support the deck, supports the aft bulkhead supports the roof.....
    Correct. Currently the existing roof is held up with the original stainless posts that have an angle to it located directly over the lower aft bulkhead. The new post would be bigger in diameter and vertical as opposed to angled as it is now.
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Just build it make a reverse mold and it then will be exactly what you want I did this for a customer. It was made so that you can support the hard bottom raft also.

That was my original idea. But it seems simpler if I can find a "donor" roof I can buy and modify. BTW, beautiful job you did there.
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Right. I think Mario is going to do this right, and consider all of those points. I'm very interested to see how he does it. He's got little kids, so I'm guessing he's not going to do it unless it can be done right. Naval architect? Draw plans up and execute the construction yourself? That's how I may approach it if I were doing this. I can tell you my upper deck is supported pretty robustly by the enclosure around the aft deck. I think you can bring that load down pretty low in the hull leveraging the structure. I'm actually always amazed that the Davit supports the whaler, as it just goes through the deck and mounts to the lower deck I the "back porch". Definitely more complicated than Dans great work but really interesting to watch.
    John, my thoughts are also assuming that the roof will be even stronger with the hard enclosure.
    Mario
    Siboney

How far over is the cantilever going to be? Is anything heavy (people, dingy, etc) going to be on the cantilevered section?

Or did I mis-understand, and it's going to be fully supported from below. Putting supports up and just making a raised floor is pretty simple. Making a solid cantilevered structure, not so much.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    How far over is the cantilever going to be? Is anything heavy (people, dingy, etc) going to be on the cantilevered section?

Or did I mis-understand, and it's going to be fully supported from below. Putting supports up and just making a raised floor is pretty simple. Making a solid cantilevered structure, not so much.
    It will be fully supported from below. Once extended, the cantilever is really only about 2 or 3 feet for so.
    Mario
    Siboney

You know me...spend the $47,000 and get it done right the first time. Besides, what will you do with the rest of the salvage boat when you are done? Hey. It's a legit question.

It's Eric's photoshop, not mine, but I agree it looks great. All of Mario's other projects turned out fine, this one will, too. All pilots are OCD, all the ones I've ever met, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    You know me...spend the $47,000 and get it done right the first time. Besides, what will you do with the rest of the salvage boat when you are done? Hey. It's a legit question.
    I only want to purchase the roof
    Not the boat.
    Mario
    Siboney