Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: NEEDED: derelict/salvage 58' YF or 53' MY for parts

I think the extended roof on Eric's photo looks pretty good.

Walt

Do it in canvass and be finished with it already.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I like the idea of the extended hardtop, plus recycling part of a derelict boat is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I like the idea of the extended hardtop, plus recycling part of a derelict boat is a good idea.
    Did I mention it woukd probably save $20,000.00 with canvas.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Yeah, but he wants to lounge up there as well...........

WOW. I like the way Jim's photo looks too. That would really be a lot of extra room up there. Really nice idea.

WOW X2! Dan that is pretty sweet! How did you get the curvature right? I mean its dead on!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Yeah, but he wants to lounge up there as well...........

WOW. I like the way Jim's photo looks too. That would really be a lot of extra room up there. Really nice idea.
    You can't have it all sometimes. Also there's a cost to do that. To add the length and support a tender means supports and structural work. The cantilever over the aft bulkhead will mean it has to be reinforced to hold the weight of the top, dink and people. Add it all up and it's a pretty large load but what do I know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Agreed Scott, no argument. I suspect it can be done right, but question is will it still look as nice as Jim's photoshop if it's done right. Other thing is like you said, structural support will be necessary. However, can those structural supports take the form of carbon fiber and aluminum? That would lighten the load. If you look at aircraft technology you might be able to take your lead from that. The beauty of having these boats to work with is you know you've got the strength under you to make these kinds of changes..........as long as you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Agreed Scott, no argument. I suspect it can be done right, but question is will it still look as nice as Jim's photoshop if it's done right. Other thing is like you said, structural support will be necessary. However, can those structural supports take the form of carbon fiber and aluminum? That would lighten the load. If you look at aircraft technology you might be able to take your lead from that. The beauty of having these boats to work with is you know you've got the strength under you to make these kinds of changes..........as long as you do it right.
    The structure needs to start at the hull. Down at the bottom. The lower stateroom bulkheads support the deck, supports the aft bulkhead supports the roof.....
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Right. I think Mario is going to do this right, and consider all of those points. I'm very interested to see how he does it. He's got little kids, so I'm guessing he's not going to do it unless it can be done right. Naval architect? Draw plans up and execute the construction yourself? That's how I may approach it if I were doing this. I can tell you my upper deck is supported pretty robustly by the enclosure around the aft deck. I think you can bring that load down pretty low in the hull leveraging the structure. I'm actually always amazed that the Davit supports the whaler, as it just goes through the deck and mounts to the lower deck I the "back porch". Definitely more complicated than Dans great work but really interesting to watch.